Homepage Forums NJ BMX Racing Old School Racing Remember your first race?

• This topic has 23 voices and 43 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • Author

Sunday afternoon, June 27, 1982. Raceway Park, Englishtown, NJ.

Gate 5. 10-11 Beginner, I believe (I can’t remember how WWBMXA ran their classes. I was 10.).

I smacked the gate with my pedal and got dead last. Placed fifth and fourth the next two motos (From gate 8 and 2.). My dad and I returned for the Wednesday night race and I perfected. We celebrated at a pizza joint off Route 1&9 in Old Bridge, and I swear I felt like Harry Leary (my hero at the time.). I had the trophy up until I moved to Colorado. Moved right up to Novice. Six races later, I turned Expert.

How ’bout you?

ihatem

I’ll never forget my sons first race, he was 5 .In May we went to Flemmington and when we got to the track I freaked out! I was scared to death and thought he would kill himself on the first tabletop!
    After I terrified him, he finally came around and decided to try it and never looked back!( thanks to Matt for his patients) He did his first race and got 5th place (out of 5)racing all 8&9 year olds.
    Now I keep my mouth shut and just let him do his thing with no fear I might add! 😀

TideyFamily

@ihatem wrote:

I’ll never forget my sons first race, he was 5 .In May we went to Flemmington and when we got to the track I freaked out! I was scared to death and thought he would kill himself on the first tabletop!
    After I terrified him, he finally came around and decided to try it and never looked back!( thanks to Matt for his patients) He did his first race and got 5th place (out of 5)racing all 8&9 year olds.
    Now I keep my mouth shut and just let him do his thing with no fear I might add! 😀

Your kid is insane!!!!!!! He is unbelievablely fast and has no fear!

Buddha(Ex-Gate Starter, Now Racer)

CrazyCraig

Dont remember the date but I remember the place…

Late November or early December 1981 Jersey City Armory. 14 and Over beginner. 1 footed start. I did not transfer (ABA). I bent the cheapy forks on my tri-moly ‘Goose in practice on the whoop-de-doos in the last straight (I didn’t know you were supposed to pull up for them! 😯 ). Very first race and we were already replacing parts. 🙄 But, I did make it up for motos (new Tange forks), and got hooked!

I came home from that race and the first thing my dad did was put a board on a wire milk crate and pointed it to the wall and said “you need to learn how to balance on the gate”. Way to go Dad!

I raced 8 races that winter, transferred 6 times and got 4 trophies (they didn’t trophy to 8th in those days). My first trophy was a 3rd place and I still have it.

LeadSled1

March 1986. 13 beginner. Won the first two motos, slid out in the second corner while in the lead of the third moto. Still got up and won. Never got passed. That was my one and only beginner race. 😆 I was racing a Huffy Pro Thunder.

My son has that little trophy on top of his dresser.

4130forlife

it was in april of 1984 at braddock.. that is all

bmiddaugh

Flemington Oval at Pete’s Bike Shop (shop is still there)
    2nd place in beginner. (Ribbon folks)
    Then it was all down hill from there.
    Simple times.

RaidenHayden

Pawson you were a little runt back then

4130forlife

and now mr hayden i am the BMX legend…we were all little runts once upona time

miken1973

1984 Howell crashed in the lead third motto 12 beginner. Still have the plague. first aba race was at braddock pawson was talking junk they didnt know i raced nbl and when i signed up as a inter. I transfered and beat out dave third motto only to have that black hutch ghost ridden at me. Mr. Bartoli or whatever his name was.. was very agnry at ya dave. DO you remember that race?

DigetyelaD

my first race ever was in howell in 79 maybe 80 still got my first place trophy in my room. my first race back in flemington in 1993 mike nunn pimped my i was so mad i wanted to fight him .now he is one of my best friends alot of my real close friends are from bmx the lynch mob will never die.

CrazyCraig

Mikey goes from getting pimped to doing the pimping…

Gee Mike, did you pick up some “skills” riding with the Wrecking Crew in 1989??? 🙄

robC

jersey city amory nj 1987 2nd beginner first real track 1987 new bridge road ny never transfer 😥

TideyFamily

Black Mountain BMX, Phoenix Arizona January(DESERT BABY!!!)1992

Got a new Dyno VFR for Christmas and brought it out to get my ass handed to me for the first 3 month’s. Still have my first trophy though 1st place, everyone else crashed in the second turn and I was so slow I wasn’t involved. (You know I once was fat)

RaidenHayden

Greg, thanks for the humor, I just had pepsi spray from my nostrils all over my computer 😆

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.