Homepage Forums NJ BMX Racing NJ Racing old Question for Braddock Racers BITD

• This topic has 16 voices and 48 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    mnwniko

Does anyone who raced there or on other tracks in NJ remember a guy who used to race/ride and had the nickname “MENTAL” stiched on the rear of his race pants?

I used to race there in the early-mid 80’s and remember him and a few others in between motos or after all the motos were finished riding off the third turn berm and jumping the other way up and off the tabletop between the 2nd and 3rd turns.

He used to get some sick air and did a bunch of tricks. I may have pics but I’ll have to do some serious digging through basements and attics.

That was 20+ years ago and I was about 11-13 y/o or so but that was one of the few things I remember vividly about that track and the races there.

Mike

CrazyCraig

Yup, I remember him. One of his buds was Elvis _____ (cant remember the last name).

I raced Mental in 17x back in 1984. That 17x class was tough. Dave Campbell, Sal Echel, Billy Sargeant, half the Thruster team, etc…

…and I was one of those guys that used to do the jumping after the races too. That was fun.

CrazyCraig

I believe Mental’s first name was Tony, but I cannot think of his last.

mnwniko

He rode for Thruster too huh. They had their factory in Wayne? Right? I read somewhere that a guy named Brian Carney raced for them too. I went to school with him and i think his brother Keith. I think Brian is a Wayne cop now, although I haven’t seen him in a while.

bmiddaugh

Tony Caringella….”Mental”
    He also RIPPED it up on a ramp….
    I got pics of him someplace.

mnwniko

8) Cool, some of my best memories are racing and hanging at the track.

I’d love to see some pics once you dig them up.

CrazyCraig

no, Mental did not ride for Thruster. I was referring to the fact that on any given day, especially the big races at Braddock, several Factory Thruster guys would show up: Chris _____, Franco Perrino, etc.

Mental should have been sponsored, but back then “jumpers” didn’t really garner factory support. I gotta believe he’s digging the stuff they do on the X-Games and wishin he was younger!

xracer264

@CrazyCraig wrote:

no, Mental did not ride for Thruster. I was referring to the fact that on any given day, especially the big races at Braddock, several Factory Thruster guys would show up: Chris _____, Franco Perrino, etc.

Mental should have been sponsored, but back then “jumpers” didn’t really garner factory support. I gotta believe he’s digging the stuff they do on the X-Games and wishin he was younger!

Team Thruster from BITD (who’s names I can recall) were Chriss Williams, Frankie Chirlo, Marc Arles, John Penna, Franco Perrino, me, Scott Stewart, Brad Dalbec, Adam Vanna, Scottie Penna. John Penna’s sister, Adam Vanna’s Sister and two other gals. There were also three to four other guys whom I can’t recall.

dunrite9

Remember “SALAMI”

Craig do you remember, ” Mike Shupack”

dunrite9

Is Braddock still there? Last time I whent by there it was still fenced in but all over grown. 8 or 9 years ago.

CrazyCraig

xracer, who are you? Did I race you BITD? Thanks for the team roster on Thruster, I could not remember all the names, but raced a lot of you guys. If I recall, Brad Dalbec’s sister, Darcy(?) was on the team too, wasn’t she?

Dunrite – nice photo. I didn’t know you raced NBL in ’85. Cool. I dropped out of racing after breaking my foot in the spring. Nice shot of you on the cruiser. 🙂

Yeah, I remember Shupack, there are pics of him in the book that has me on the cover.

Who was Salami?

CrazyCraig

…and Braddock is long gone as far as I know.

Kmart

Yo,

I thought Brad’s Sister, Darcy Dalbec rode for Scavones…….

Pete nice pic, I just sent Brett a pic of Me, you, Nate and some dude whose name I forget (help please) at Deptford loafing about (Hopefully they will get posted today). and some more Braddock shots of me taking it to Gibby.

Sweet JT helmet BTW….

Later

Crazy Craig………..I remember Tony AND Elvis. Tony went to Bayside HS around ’85. We used to ride around Bay Terrace a lot. I saw Elvis almost die in a motorcycle accident with no helmet. It was bad, but he was at the school the next day with just a few scratches and a concussion.
    CS

bmiddaugh

Chupac!!!!, I raced him all the time, raced for Clifton Speed Center.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 50 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.