Homepage Forums NJ BMX Racing Racing Veterans PLEASE CHANGE THE "MONSTER JUMP" AT CJBMX!!!!!!!!!

• This topic has 17 voices and 83 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 85 total)
  • Author
    bmiddaugh

I was just thinking about that ‘ol saying “go big or go home”, hehe…
    Judging by our local race turnouts, it looks like everyone decided on the latter….

bmxlegend

this topic alone makes me want to quit racing..hell if i want to race a track where its no fun…

bmiddaugh

Oh come on Ham, we all know if we just had baby curb jumps out there, you’d still be down… 😉

My intent is to grow BMX beyond us, beyond the “hardcore” mentality, beyond the “I want to be number one” stigma, beyond “I want to be sponsored”.
    I have a good number of older guys who have the same ideas I do, and we have plans in the works to make the young average, playing video games, kid welcome in the BMX world.

I respect all you guys, especially everyone who has stuck with it through the lean years, (That means you Ham!!!!)
    I really honestly am thinking about new young fresh kids and parents when I say we gotta tone things down a click.

I’d love a track with 5′ tall, 12-15′ spaced jumps everywhere and have it be about 900′ long but that’s not going to entice new people. There is a good medium to be found.

xracer264

From an outsiders perspective.

I haven’t seen the track yet but, would anyone have a picture of it? What are the actual issues about the jump? The risk of injuries? What % of racers are successfully navigating it? I think everyone what’s a challenging yet somewhat safe environment to race in.

bmiddaugh

The issue is that it is about 5 1/2′ tall 20′ apart peak to peak. The front of the second part of the double is just about reachable by 85-90% of the riders at the track going at full clip. Which means most hit the jump with either the back wheel flat into it, or the front wheel into it. CJ only gets about 25 motos a race, so most gates are not full. Most riders opt to slow down before the jump. If or when we get full gates of riders or near it, 1 rider crashing on a jump that size could cause potential serious problems.
    Also, the jump is not rollable by people who cannot jump it.
    The size and distance are more something you would find in a pro section or the bigger parts of some local trails.
    I have a few pictures at my home computer. I wll post them later.
    Let me say percentage wise, since it is not rollable by an average rider, I’d have to say if we have 100 riders at a race, perhaps 12-15 can jump it, which is not a big deal if the rest can roll it, but at about 5.5 feet it is a little rough for the average racer to get the front wheel up and over that at full speed to roll it.

bmiddaugh

That’s the man himself Rich F, clearing them last year. Right below his bike is where most riders are landing directly into that frontside of the second set. The launch is about another foot past the left part of the picture.

bmiddaugh

I’d say Freddie Hauge on the lower right is about 5’8″ -5’10”, so the jump is about 5′ tall, and you can judge the distance by the Farside shot.
    Actually that picture was taken last year and the front has been built up about 6-10″ since then.
    Again, I’m gonna add that Vinnie said he isn’t done yet, so…let’s volunteer to get out there and give him a hand getting it done.

LeadSled1

That looks a lot like our first double out of the first corner. Do they really have that much problems with it? Our second double is quite a bit bigger.

Here is some video of the track:

http://www.bluediamondpark.com/bmx/movies/3135CRM1page.htm

http://www.bluediamondpark.com/bmx/movies/1117_31-35CRpage.htm

bmiddaugh

Excellent, now a point can be made..
    Jesse, do you see how your dubs are mellow on the second part? Like that dude in 31-35 was able to drop the back wheel and roll them easy.
    It doesn’t look like it in the picture above but that side on ours is steep enough that when you hit it like that it’s very brick wallish. And the take off has a lip that makes it super hard to keep that a** end down…
    What are those dubs peak to peak?

bmxlegend

i cannot believe how crazy this is making me…i think i shall stop now.. lol…waaah waah.. the jump is to big.. waaaah..the jump is just fine ..maybe ythey should do that.. make the ouside rollable for all the mary’s who are scared to jump it.. but make it so if you roll it itll take more time to get into the 1st turn then it would if you jumped the stupid things

CWCCRIDER

I rode it last year the front and the back were very steep, to steep for me to manual
    I just hit my brakes right before it, scrubbed off enough spped so that I jump and landed in the middle
    Yea it felt real wimpy to!! 😳 but at least I got a good view of Farside airing it out in front of me !!!!

I never was a good jumper not sure if I wanna try to be now, but I always loved to race!!!
    Give me a outside line that I can roll and I’ll take it !!!!

bmiddaugh

It’s not really about who’s a mary, lol…that’s between all us older guys and the wussosity factor.
    It’s about new riders and and keeping existing ones.
    The jump just needs a little work to make it rideable by everyone and I’m pretty sure Vinnie will get it done.

LeadSled1

Brett, if you are talking about the first link that it is me in the gray sweatshirt (in both). It looks like I am rolling them but I am actually jumping low and dropping the back tire. In the second clip I aired it out a little more ( and case the 3rd tripple pretty good with the front). The jump is actually pretty steep and easy to over clear. We were looking at making it longer before the the first race this year. It is about 17 feet. I think the second one is 22 feet and the third is about 15 feet.

bmiddaugh

Jesse,
    Well damn man that is some killer style!
    That’s it though if you tried that move on our dubs when you’re back wheel hit, it would be kablam, and you’d be standing still or OTB. We need to mellow out that part of it which is what Vinnie said he is gonna do, I just don’t think he has had a chance yet with the weather.
    It disrupts the flow…

TideyFamily

First post here so be gentle. My son( 8 ) and myself went to CJBMX yesterday to see what the track looked like and to see if he would be interetsed in racing. I personally raced for over 10 years but that was 10 years ago. We watched 3 kids go down on the doubles yesterday. From the front it honestly looks like a 6 foot quarter pipe. My son and I are going to begin racing but I am almost inclined to travel to EH to see about thier track. I live only 15 minutes away from CJ and it would be a shame to have to travel over an hour to race. I would love to volunteer and help out whenever a working party arises. I’m not one of those parents who bitches and doesn’t do anything about it. I agree with an earlier post shave down the lip and fill in the center section some and it would make a world of difference on how people race that first straight.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 85 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.