Homepage Forums NJ BMX Racing Old School Racing Old School New Jersey pros

• This topic has 14 voices and 59 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 61 total)
  • Author

NICE! I didn’t mean to add fuel to the fire, but since I already did, what took you so long?

CrazyCraig

George, for some reason I had not ridden ANY bike for 10 years. Long story short, when I showed up at EHT for the Jack Frost, its a miracle I made it around the track without medical assitance, and somehow did not come in dead last in 35-39 Cruiser.

I finally built a new 20″ in May but decided based on my skills at that point, I was better suited for Novice. After being off the track for nearly 17 years, I did not see any problem with it. Pete Woghelmuth did the same thing, as did Brett Middaugh (he was back first). I busted up several body parts getting back up to speed.

Every National I got better, and almost wished the season was 1 month longer, I might have made it towards the top of the National rankings, but now I am officially back in Expert where I belong. And its just like BITD – once you move up – you rise to the challenge.

bmiddaugh

Obviously everyone likes Craig the best since he gets picked on the most, lol.

LeadSled1

Brett, we can hook a brother up. I just thought you were to fragile. 😆

bmiddaugh

I figured I would have at least made the village people lineup pic, lol….
    I got a thick skin, just a big puss over 20′ doubles, 😆 .
    That black suburban thing on vintage was some funny, sh*t!

LeadSled1

The vintage pics were one of my favorite. I didn’t even have to edit them. 😆

CrazyCraig

Jess – can you post the link to that thread?

LeadSled1

http://www.vintagebmx.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=20;t=001711;p=4

Start there and read Bretts and my reply. Then jump to page 6.

CrazyCraig

Brett –

Did the Black Suburbans ever track you down?? 😆

That was some funny stuff Jess.

bmiddaugh

I’ve been pretty quiet lately haven’t I?
    …or maybe I’m coming up with something, lol.

LeadSled1

Funny thing is when I walked back from work today to the hotel there were 5 black suburbans out on the street. 😯 I almost thought about running.

theLoper

You can add me to that list(Mark Lopez). The last 3 races of my racing career(1985) were as a pro. I raced 2 nationals in Conn. and 1 national at Egg Harbor. Raced B-Pro and pro open at those races. Made all 6 mains. The last race at Egg Harbor I was the only B-pro to make the pro open main. The line up was- 1.Stu Thompson
    2.Tommy Brackens
    3.Shawn Texas
    4.Harry Leary
    5.Richard Zagars
    6.Eddy King
    7.Matt Harris
    8.Mark Lopez

Of course I picked lane 8………………ended up 5th ahead of King,Texas,and Zagars.

Another guy you missed on your list was Ray Hobson. Think he turned pro around late 1983. Was a regular at Howell as a B-pro from 83-85.

loudogg666

why did you stop racing pro?
    am i like one of the only people w ho didn’t start out racing?

theLoper

Didnt stop racing pro. Just stopped racing period. After 6 years on the road following the national circuit I was burnt out on the travel. The only reason I turned pro when I did was for more motivation. The sport took a pretty big hit between 84 and 85. By 85 a lot of factory rides had dried up,race participation dropped off and things started to slowly regress. Several guys I raced against the previous year turned b-pro for the exact same reason including Bubba Hayes,John Tomac,Ken Aman(Tomac and Aman were ex teamates),Dave Cambell, and Mike Hibner to name a few.

After those last 3 races I knew I needed some time away. It was always my plan to come back stronger than ever in a couple years. After all I was still only 17 when I quit. By 1988 I was itching to come back. I had been doing a lot of weight training in those off years as well as riding. I was set to make my comeback in early 1989 when I was struck with health issues. Needless to say I never raced again. In the last 5-6 years I have raced and won several road and mountain bike races but never picked up a bmx bike again.

loudogg666

ohhhhh.
    well hope on that bmx bike.
    its the best feeling in the world.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 61 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.