Homepage Forums NJ BMX Racing Old School Racing Old School New Jersey pros

• This topic has 14 voices and 59 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 61 total)
  • Author

Maybe others can add to this list. I was this () close to turning Pro in 1981 The Pro scene was dying however and I moved to California.

New Jersey Pros
    1970s Pros
    Sal Zeuner (Factory MCS, Factory Thruster, Factory DG NBL #1 Am 1978?)
    Terry Zeuner (Co-Factory SE Racing)
    Lee Veale (AER – South Jersey)
    Drew Bentz (Langleys- South Jersey)
    Alan Jessat (Factory Thruster- North Jersey?)
    Mark Flores (Breille Cyclery – Central Jersey)
    Alan Flores (His brother- Central Jersey)
    Rick Ward (AER also DG? South Jersey)
    Dave Woodward (no info on this guy)
    Jack Harvey (AER? – South Jersey if I remember right he was huge).
    Dan Nicolson (no info on this guy, I think I remember him riding for Redline or at least on one)
    Charlie Litsky (aka “Leapin Litsky” Factory Mongoose, probably the first New Jersey Pro ever)
    Hank Russ (Thruster? then AMF, had a brother named Alan- North Jersey?)

Early-Mid 1980s Pros
    Wayne Mcfarqhuar (spelling lol) (Factory Shimano – North Jersey)
    Dave Dechert (Factory Shimano – North Jersey)
    John Schachel (Factory AMF, Columbia and Shimano- North Jersey)
    Bryan Gaburo (Pedalers East, Kuwahara National Team- South Jersey)
    Dave Campbell (aka “Spanky Campbell”)
    Guy Stevenson (Flemington area racer)
    Jarret Justice (CW?)
    Richard Farside (Checkered Flag, Factory Hutch, Factory Diamond Back)
    James Vicente (JV Bikes – North Jersey)
    Steven Malaguti (SE Racing, Total BMX coverboy as AM- Central Jersey?)
    Brian Shute (Action Wheels- South Jersey)
    Andy Currie (ACE- Central Jersey)
    Ed Clark (aka “Fast Eddie”, DJs Bike Shop?)
    Jason Alverez (Cranford area Pro- North Jersey)
    Mark Lopez (Factory MCS- Pro in 1985)
    Ray Hobson (Pro 1983-85)

Late 1980s-1990s Pros (includes Superclass)
    Rob Dolecki (Factory Hyper – North Jersey)
    Marc Inella
    Dave Paulson
    Dave Godfrey
    Clay Goldsmid (Action Wheels, Factory Hyper- South Jersey)
    Tom Ballard (Cavemans other brother)
    Mike Welsh
    Craig Wilson (aka “Crazy Craig”)
    Dave Kapigian (aka Caveman Action Wheels, Factory Roadkill- South Jersey)
    Doug Luden (Answer, TNT? ABA and NBL Announcer)
    Marcus Dixon (Factory Hyper)
    Mark Zalewski (Factory TNT- North Jersey)
    John Salzmann (Factory TNT)
    George Salzman
    Marlon Pierson
    Frank Klimecki (Central Jersey?)
    Rich Carolan (Central Jersey?)
    Dave Thompsen (Action Wheels- South Jersey)

2000 Pros[/b]
    Has anyone turned Pro in NJ since 2000?

Girl Pros
    Kathy Schachel (probably the first girl Pro-Shimano- North Jersey)
    Jenny Zeuner (Pedalers East, DG- South Jersey)
    Christine Lisnock (Maybe the second girl Pro?- North Jersey)

Kmart

Brett

80’s Dave “Spanky” Campbell (Hyper and TNT)
    John Shakel was Shimano I think…

Kmart

bmiddaugh

I like this guy.
    Part of todays problems, lie from the fact that no one really knows the full history of how we got here.
    I got a busy day here but I’d be real stoked to get ahold of you Eric and link to your site. People need to know the 30 year history.

miken1973

what about guy stevenson and there was jarret justice………………………how soon they forget. And dong forget dave not cave man but there were three brothers from the bridgewater area.

miken1973

doug louden,
    Mark Inella
    John Salzmann
    rob dolecki
    marcus dixon
    mark zalewski
    clay goldsmith

i know i forgot a few too.

all guys who earned respect as superclass/a pros

Talking tom ballard—- 😯

Yeah Superclass i dont consider Pro. If it was Pro theyd have called it Pro.
    B Pro counts though.
    I moved west from fall of 81 till fall of 88 so I have no idea who was pro: B pro, A pro or AA pro back then, I then again moved west from like 91-92 and moved east for 93. In my last two times living back east the only one I remember racing A pro was Dave (a teamate of mine on Action Wheels). If you guys remember that late 80s Action Wheels jersey it was my design. I met Clay years earlier out west as rode for Action Wheels, he was out west for some Big race in Irvine Ca but was racing like 15X or something. Did he turn Pro, my memory fails me.
    maybe Caveman can tell us who raced Pro (not superclass) with him.

As for those 80 guys, yeah I know about them all but wasnt sure who went Pro. Alot of them went Superclass but I dont know how many of them went Pro. I know Rob Dolecki toured with me in 92, but dont remember him being Pro then. So I will update the master list once you guys are sure they went Pro.

I talked with a old school freind who raced Pro and he informed John Shackel raced for AMF, Columbia and Shimano.

** Ok I went thru the few old papers I have. 91-92 ABA and 98 NBL.
    I found no record of any Pros from NJ in those years but did find out for a fact that Marc Inella and Rob Dolecki did at least race Superclass and sometimes Superclass/Pro Open, but could find no evidence they turned Pro. Superclass btw, was started to allow Amatuers to earn money, so for sure its not a true Pro class. Maybe a few of you can dig out some old papers also 🙂

CrazyCraig

In the late 80’s WEWO was pro. (I believe his name was Marlon Peirson)

How about Dave Clymer, he was Pro, was he from Jersey? cause I know I raced him.

BTW: Was Farside’s name on that list, cause I know he finished as a Pro.

And, I know you don’t count Superclass, but thats the last class I raced in 1989.

miken1973

Clymer was from quakertown PA rode for pedlar then TNT then went out to cali and rode for S&M and what not. He had some hard times but last report was things are better for the guy,

—Dave Godfrey thats the other guy I couldnt remember.

4130forlife

dave pawson.. superclass, 1995

hella

Caveman

Dave Godfrey. Oh hell yeah! Forgot about that. He had a brother Bob and a younger brother. Dave was super for a while. I believe when Howell reopened and had a regional, Fuzzy Hall came out and Dave beat him.

Erick, Erick, Erick. I believe you and I were there when the NBL started the Superclass. It was at the Thanksgiving National in Harrisburg (perhaps 89?) and we stayed with Jud Ciancio and Pete Dylewski right?
    They changed the name of B Pro to Superclass and allowed you to still race amateur at locals to give people an incentive to turn up. You could race as a pro at nationals and still race locals. Tons of people turned up. Jesse Guilbalt turned up there. Matt Sherman turned up there and also raced the Quaker States at Cedar and did well. Craig, didn’t you turn up there?

If you raced Superclass in the NBL, you raced A Pro in ABA so I would say Superclass counts as Pro. The NBL is retarded and just keeps changing the name. There was Superclass and All Pro. All Pro? How retarded is that? Now we’re A Pro and Elite. Who knows what it will be called next year. The ABA has called the classes A and AA Pro for over 20 years.

So yeah, Rob Dolecki, Marc Inella, and Marcus Dixon were Pro and they all raced some ABA. Clay was definitely Pro. He turned at the 88 ABA Fall Nationals in Orlando, FL which was right over the fence from the NBL Orlando track. He was racing Shawn O’Gorman who was A Pro back then. Now Shawn is Vet Pro with me.

Then there’s James Vincente (sp?) from the Braddock area. Wasn’t he pro? Help me out Craig. My hero was Brian Shute who rode for Action Wheels. He battled with Clymer at a lot of eastern nationals.

Tom Ballard was an AWESOME pro. He would get an 8 novice start and coast around in last place, looking down at his bike as if he had some mechanical difficulty and that’s why he was in last place. Penny Shipman said he would do the same thing when she used to beat him on cruiser. Stupid pot head. Why can’t he just go away and not come back?

Janeen’s son Mike Welsh was super for a while but he quit this sissy BMX stuff and he rides bulls now.

Anything else you need to know about NJ BMX from 86 till now just ask.

CrazyCraig

@Caveman wrote:

Craig, didn’t you turn up there?

Then there’s James Vincente (sp?) from the Braddock area. Wasn’t he pro? Help me out Craig. My hero was Brian Shute who rode for Action Wheels. He battled with Clymer at a lot of eastern nationals.

Yeah, I turned up at the end of ’89 when they announced the new Superclass, but I didn’t hang long enough to hit any ABA races as an A Pro. Wish I had.

I used to race Vincente on cruiser, had some great races, but not sure if he ever turned Pro. I think I had Brian Shute in my 17 and Over Expert main at the 85 Dixieland Nats (ABA) in 1985. I took fourth.

Caveman

Erick,
    Seriously, take Tom Ballard out. Yeah, he turned superclass but that doesn’t mean he deserved that title. He couldn’t make an expert main at a national. He was the original Tony Spencer or Mike Kilpatrick.

Perhaps I should look through my ABA papers from 83-89 to see who was really pro. I thought James Vincente was pro but if Craig doesn’t remember it I would defer to him. If I see his name in the results then we’ll know. Of course I only have ABA papers before 89.

Don’t forget Brian Shute in the mid 80’s for Action Wheels. Oh, and I never raced Pro for Action Wheels. I’ve done all my Pro racing for Road Kill. Oooh, speaking of Action Wheels Pros, Dave Thompson. He worked at the shop and raced pro for a few years in the late 80’s.

And are we all forgetting another Pro? Frank Klimecki.

bmiddaugh

Tom….He’s the guy who talks a lot, right?

bmiddaugh

Schachel was at CJ a couple weeks ago, lives in Brick and owns Prestige Yacht.

Dave Thompsen lol how could I forget him, hes the dude that had the cool convertible pickup right? He rode for our team. *&^%
    Man my memory sucks sometimes. I was ABA #1 one year right? I think I beat Stu for the title.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 61 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.