Homepage Forums Anything But Riding… General B.S. Teaching a child to ride a bike..

• This topic has 16 voices and 40 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    loudogg666

i hope to see double flips by the time she is 11.

bmxmom156

def take the seat down to the lowest spot so his feet are flat on the ground. if you have the training wheels that go off center raise them both up a smidge( only a smidge) then raise it little by little till he isnt using them much at all.

balance plays a big part. if he isnt using his legs much (not much gross motor/outside playtime) and sits around playing video games it will take a bit longer.

make sure its small enough( i hate when parents want the kid to “grow into the bike”) dont be a cheapo- get him a bike that fits then deal with the growth spurts later.

my son is the master training wheel remover in our neighborhood. he did some little guys and spends like a few days with them and they are off in no time. i know you wont like to hear this but getting a younger kid/ teenager to do it/ someone he looks up to is better than mom or dad. its a fact unfortunately they want to please strangers more than you..lol when the kid gets off the training wheels he makes h im a number plate for the bike in whatever number they want… kind of like a reward.

on the other hand when we were in fla he tried with my nephew who is NEVER outside doing anything physical and has shit balance (except for his game-boy muscles) he couldnt even ride with the training wheels…so it really depends on the kid too.. he was in 2nd grade and only rode the bike maybe 5 times with the tr wheels on about a yr ago..

good luck..and dont worry it will happen. just dont put pressure on him.. if you want to speak to danny at flemington he can give you some of his top secret pointers if you like….lol

MY kids picked up some old general scooters out of the garage I turned the bars way down and once I saw them balance two feet on it I put them on the bike I CW idea is really cool I might try that on my last little critter!!

as a young kid… scooters and a positive attitude will do it… my brother … on a scooter at age 2 .. on a bike 2 wheels age 3…. the scooter helps alot…..

OMG does your daughter know the history behind that CW pad set? How Pete Loncarevich, Billy Griggs, Andy Zirzow, Mike Miranda paved the way for her right to run a CW padset!

To dads who have kids that dont race BMX. My advice- Ebay. Get what you can for them.

All joking aside not being a dad, I can remember me as a kid. My dad didnt push me he started me small, a tricycle, then a bigger bike with training wheels. Hardly used it, but I did. Then when I got my first 20 I was porbably around 7 and he encouraged me hed run down the driveway with me after he took off the training wheels. Still I was more into skateboarding and fishing than bikes, since BMX didnt exist to me yet. Eventually he regretted he ever bought me a bike lol.

tommydone

trying to get my son to do it now(thats right guys,im a dad,those that know me know this is f@cked up)he is 6.I want him to race so my wife wont break my balls about hitting some nationals next year.A little selfish I guess.Whats the sense in having kids if you cant brainwash them?

loudogg666

if i ever get married.
    i’m not going to push my kid to do anything he doesn’t think is fun.

tommydone

I hope you guys knew I was joking,look he has to learn how to ride a bike but racing is totally up to him,if he wants too I will love it but if not thats cool too,if I push him too hard he hate racing first and then me seond.Just joking about the brainwashing thing.

loudogg666

i would rather a kid do something he loves, not totally hate.

bmiddaugh

I hear what Loudogg is saying man. Plus l-dogg just went through a whole thing with being able to ride. i.e.: Doing what you love to do and having an over bearing parent stressing on ya.
    Honestly though, I don’t think that there are a lot of kids that if you just have fun with them on a BMX bike, let them progress at their own rate and choose what they like to do, ride, race, flat, jump, ramps, wouldn’t be into it. At least for a little while. Riding a bike is fun, just plain is.
    BMX also opens the mind to being creative in other areas of life.

bmxmom156

theres a difference betw pushing your kid and just opening the door…showing them the bikes getting them one that fits them or one they are comfortable on now is not pushing them…isnt it normal for everykid to have a bike? thats not pushing. but by NOT exposing them to bmx/ or bikes in general now thats negligance…. lol

you can just take bike rides around the block with your little guy/gal, go to the park and ride, just get on the bike on a reg basis and expose him/her to it. thats not pushing its just healthy family fun.

i told someone once on another thread about my cousins son in fla..this poor kid has only been on his bike ( a 20″ with training wheels for gosh sakes) twice in a year and he is about 8 yrs old… how can you expect a kid to learn to love the sport or even to ride a bike in general… if you dont get him outside and away from the friggin videogames???

sorry thats my peeve for the day.

loudogg666

honestly, i can say that i spent more time riding my bike then playing video games or watching tv.

bmxmom156

good ..thats good… turn the darn tv off…haha now i am starting to sound like my dad…scarey…

seriously though riding around the neighborhood vs vegging out in front of some stupid show… no kid in his right mind would choose the tv.

in a health class at the school where i work the kids are asked to turn the tv off for a week and keep a log of what they do for fun instead…most are riding around on their bikes or out playing kickball etc…

i think that you older riders that introduce the real little guys (like rodneys kids age) to riding arent pushing them… just opening up a door of possibiities

loudogg666

serouisly. if i ever get married and my kid wants to be outside more then anything, then awesome.

tommydone

IM GONNA DUCT TAPE HIS HANDS AND FEET TO THE PEDDALS UNTIL HE IS 15,Just kidding I’ll do the same thing I did with football,baseball and wrestling,here is what it is .If you want to try it then lets go but I will not let him half ass anything,if youre gonna do it then you give it your all.when you are done if you didnt like it then you dont do it anymore.I will bring him to the track in a couple of weeks and expose him to it,I hope he likes it but he is an awesome kid and if he dont then he dont.so when I come down there you guys have to help me brain wash him.(kidding again)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.