Homepage Forums Anything But Riding… General B.S. Teaching a child to ride a bike..

• This topic has 16 voices and 40 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    adamguild

Ok I am having the worst time ever trying to teach my son to ride his bike..He is 7 now and still shows no interest in learning..I took off the training wheels,bought knee pads,elbow pads,helmet…. I tried teaching him on the grass,the pavement etc….I know it basically comes down to him wanting it……but he doesnt…….Tears in my eyes…..Anyone have a suggestion?

RaidenHayden

adopt another? it is hard I’m working on Krystal now, and man. I’d rather teacher how to field strip an M-4.

s4lnj

keep having fun on your bike– and make sure he sees. don’t push it. my daughter is almost 4– she could realy care less about her bike– untill i’m doing sprints, then she rolls out with her helmet and shit wanting to ride (still in training wheels,)and really only rides for like 5-10 minute and gets bored, but the important thing is, she can associate the bike with fun, even if it was only for ten minutes.

it’s almost like brainwashing– associate nbikes w/ fun– for example– if a kid likes mcdonalds, make sure they see you riding and haveing a good time, then finishing your ride w/ a big mac– they will see the mcdonalds(fun), associate bikes w/ mcdonalds(fun) .

sounds a little crazy and slightly twisted doesn’t it?but why do you think they have playland?they are grooming kids for a lifetime of mcdonalds eating.

i just used mcdonalds as an example– use whatever he is into– weather it’s playing with toy cars after, or watching a cartoon. associate the bike with what he thinks is fun

hope this helps
    dave

adamguild

Anything but Mcdonalds…lol… Well thanks for the input I will try and come up with something he associates with….The worst part is that he seems so close but wont pedal……I run along with him he has the balance, I let go and scream pedal……he coasts until he comes to a crashing halt…..Frustration……..

RaidenHayden

Hmmmmmm, sounds like you are trying to teach Craig Wilson today

adamguild

Ive never seen Craig ride but now im interested……hahaha

RaidenHayden

Kinda like Kermit the frog in the muppet movie 😆

ihatem

@adamguild wrote:

Ok I am having the worst time ever trying to teach my son to ride his bike..He is 7 now and still shows no interest in learning..I took off the training wheels,bought knee pads,elbow pads,helmet…. I tried teaching him on the grass,the pavement etc….I know it basically comes down to him wanting it……but he doesnt…….Tears in my eyes…..Anyone have a suggestion?

I just taught my 4 year old nephew to ride his bike without training wheels, it took my about 1 hour, I swear to god! I think that I have perfected the technique!
    It’s tough for a 7 year old, when they’re younger they don’t think that it will hurt when they fall, a 7 year old knows that it will.

loudogg666

maybe your kid just doesn’t want to ride yet. theres still time. i’m sure he’ll start soon enough. i always hear stories about how kids just do what their parents make them do and thats f’ed up. and then theres the stories about kids who will start to do something when no one is watching or they just try it on their own and keep their mouth shut.
    best of luck to you adam.

CrazyCraig

@RaidenHayden wrote:

Kinda like Kermit the frog in the muppet movie 😆

If you recall, he almost ended up “gone with the schwinn”.

For the record, I have never owned a Schwinn. I ride a GHP dammit.

Back on topic: Adam, my kid was futs’n around with his bike for awhile, then he came with me to my second race back last year at Flemington. After watching me huff and puff around the track he tells me when we get home I HAVE to take the training wheels off. He’ll ride the bike any time I suggest it now. He thinks its cool we have matching bikes. He is a big 6 year old and has taken a few nasty spills, but gets back up. (he was 5-1/4 when the training wheels came off)

Question: what does he like to do the most instead of riding?

paulc

Adam,

Try taking off the pedals and lowering the seat so that he can touch the ground with both feet flat on the ground. Let him push himself around using his feet to keep balance. Once he seems comfortable try a small grassy hill for him to coast down still with no pedals. Let him get the hang of the balancing thing. Once he has the balancing thing down, throw the pedals back on etc. Good Luck.

Another thing that really helped my daughter was a Razor scooter. She rode that around and figured out that she could balance on two wheels and then the bike was no problem. She was riding w/o training wheels around 4.5 years old.

rodney

My 10 year old did not start until 6 he races now never thought it would happen. My 3 year old was off training wheels at 2 and has gone around the track at flemington 3 times on his 12 inch bike so far this year and I will be getting him a mirco mini for his birthday in july .sucks to say but he as the younger child has more bike control sometimes then the other kid just get him out there who cares how long it takes find some other kids around his age that can ride that may help

CWCCRIDER

Take off his cranks , let him push him self around for a week.

Put the cranks back on he’ll pick it right up

I also used a scooter too
    My 6 yr old wasn’t all that interested in riding but when she got it with out training wheels she was having alot more fun
    A bike ride to the candy store helps to !!!

They sell wooden push bikes at target, but I think they are for kids under 5

CrazyCraig

did the fall knock her tooth out? —

CWCCRIDER

Ha HA the pics make it look like that but no that tooth was already out

The fall was just a tip over she didn’t get hurt she’s just a little dramatic !!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.