Homepage Forums NJ BMX Racing Old School Racing Old school, New school ?

• This topic has 15 voices and 49 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    dunrite9

😳
    I’ve been out of BMX of about 18 years and I have some questions.
    What is the difference between an Old school bike & a New school bike?
    What other changes have happened in BMX racing?

I’m thinking about getting a new bike, tired of riding my MTB sponge.
    I may even try to get out to a track.

Kmart

Wogs,

The wheels are no longer made of wood and they are the same size now, no more of that huge wheel up front and the little one out back. Makes them easier to get on….

Seems like the new bikes are lower, longer and use Canti brakes and seem to run their handlebars narrower. The 24s ride a lot like 20s. I raced an old school Cyclecraft 24″ a few years ago and it looked about 3 feet taller then the new school rides….still got the job done though. Oh yea, dare I mention the fact that a lot of guys are running clipless pedals….you must have some old school hardware kicking around still, dust it off and take it out.

Also as far as the “sponge MTB” goes, get yourself a rigid single speed. You’ll never go back to a full sus bike after that. I converted over this year and my sus bike has not left the garage.

Later
    Kenny Martin

s4lnj

dont forget about threadless headsets–

Anonymous

Titanium,magnesium,mentalities

Kmart

Also New school in general items
    Full face helmets, body armor, tracks with a zillion jumps, uniforms that all look a like and the fine art of the manual

but on the positive side, competitive racing in the old man classes…

Kmart

RaidenHayden

All the new school stuff rocks. The old school stuff is nice, but I can’t understand buying abike used that costs a bizzilion bucks , and you don’t ride it.

Anonymous

fooshizzle

Kmart

True,

You can buy good complete bikes now for reasonable $’s…I’ve got a new Floval Flyer on my list to purchase this year.

Kmart

dunrite9

Thanks Kenny

just wanted to know before I started building a “New School” bike.

What is up with the $200 Answer forks?

CrazyCraig

Answer forks are optional. Super light carbon-fiber.

I’m running an almost stock 2004 Redline Flight 24 that I picked up on ebay from a guy in Staten Island. It was almost new. I changed the bars and neck and tires. All stock otherwise. Rides nice.

Also, I didn’t go clipless yet, I’m not crazy enough to go there yet. Plenty of new 9/16 pedals out there like the old Shimano’s we used to ride.

What’s up with the body armor? Is this mandatory??

CrazyCraig

Wog – I can’t believe you posted a photo of you butt with your name on it. Too bad I don’t have my old JT’s with “It Works” on the back. But, the screen aint big enough for that. 😯

Kmart

Body Armor optional but in wide spread usage…which is good for the big fragile types like myself..

Clipless on a MTB is one thing…not sure I trust myself with them on a BMX.

Fogot about the “it works”. Can’t believe I remember your butt..

I rolled with I-B-C-N-U for awhile…

Later

dunrite9

@CrazyCraig wrote:

Wog – I can’t believe you posted a photo of you butt with your name on it. Too bad I don’t have my old JT’s with “It Works” on the back. But, the screen aint big enough for that. 😯

The view you should no best-Craig
    😆 😈 😆

CrazyCraig

Well Kmart – yer getting your wish. Wogs aint even on a bike yet and the trash talk has started. 🙂

Nah, it’s all good. Me and Pete went at it good during the few months we would be in the same class before I had a b-day. I’d say we both won our fair share of races. Dang, I really do miss those days. 🙁

Wogs, if you recall for awhile there I had a gate snap super dialed in on my cruiser. I don’t remember losing too many races at Braddock on that bike when I was dialed in…and I have the photos to prove it. 😉

You saw the “It Works” just as much as I saw “Wogs”. Man those were great days!

CrazyCraig

Yes, for all you new guys, or least the ones under 25, this is a bunch of old farts reliving there BMX youth. 😯

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.