Homepage Forums Grassroots BMX Ideas, Innovations Dream BMX track website

• This topic has 10 voices and 29 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    bmiddaugh

I’m gonna redo CJ’s site over the winter and wanted to know what would help everyone out as far as “must see” information on a BMX track website.
    Post ideas below.

kevh

Easy to access and see schedule both online and printable.

Good Directions with Landmarks not just street names. Nothing like rolling up on the street in the left lane and realizing you need to make the right turn. Or worse yet sine this is a Jersey track, being in the left lane and realizing you should be in the far right lane to make the left turn. (Sorry couldn’t resist)

Phone number and email address for easy contact.

Rookie section with Tech tips (size charts, gearing, etc) and a what to expect your first time stuff. Make it easy for new people to come and check it out.

Pictures and maybe video so people have an idea of what they they will be racing on.

rss feed to brokenspokes.net LOL

Local hotel or food sponsors/recommendations for those traveling in for big races.

Race Results are nice but can be a pain depending on scoring system.

That should be a good start.

sickryder83

Make sure the full mailing adress is on there. i hate it when i go to a traks website and they don’t have the zip code or the exact adress, because you need that information for things like mapquest.

bmxmom156

track layout maybe drawing or pictures.. i know alot of riders like to see the track pics before they go. when we went to the fla races for the first time dan was looking for recent track pics ( he likes to see the layout). its nice to be able to see it ahead of time…

pics of riders from ea weeks race. i love that cj has the pics up there for parents to see and use if they like. they are only young once and as a parent i know the value of having someone take decent pictures and it keeps the kids themselves looking on the site as well( not just for the parents) an added plus if they are FREE! lol

simple navagation of the site with easy to find schedule. i like on cj’s site you can see if the race is on or off right away…no hunting needed if the weather is iffy… great job!

rider of the week possibly on the front page? a little bio on him/ her to make it special? maybe a free hotdog at concession?? we used to do that on our jr wrestling website every week pick a different kid. (He also got a free hot dog/ ffries at a local deli who sponsored the wrestler of the week) we would post the pic up on the bulliten board also- it was quite an honor…

CWCCRIDER

@bmxmom156 wrote:

pics of riders from ea weeks race. i love that cj has the pics up there for parents to see and use if they like. they are only young once and as a parent i know the value of having someone take decent pictures and it keeps the kids themselves looking on the site as well( not just for the parents) an added plus if they are FREE! lol

What she said !! every track should be doing this

Brett you just love to do the impossible don’t ya ??? That web site is pretty hard to improve upon —

bmiddaugh

lol, trust me, it’s pretty easy to improve upon.
    next year everyone will be able to download a high resolution jpeg of the photos we take from the site, so you can actually print them out.
    all the other ideas are good too and i’ll be implementing them as well.

i’m also thinking that next year may be my last year doing the site as i would like to see if I can hand it off to a new person who could do even more with it. younger minds are easier at progressing.

oh and yea I am asking for these ideas for the CJ site.

kevh

@sickryder83 wrote:

Make sure the full mailing adress is on there. i hate it when i go to a traks website and they don’t have the zip code or the exact adress, because you need that information for things like mapquest.

The link on the website to mapquest should fill it in automatically for you, easy to do.

@kevh wrote:

@sickryder83 wrote:

The link on the website to mapquest should fill it in automatically for you, easy to do.

Or you could get the mapquest source code and just put a form where the user inputs THEIR addy and click get directions and it knows what to do. Ie http://www.ehtbmx.org/INFO/Directions.html — — verrryyy nice simple feature…. you can even do it so the map will come up on the cj website… if you need help brett shoot me an email….

bmiddaugh

Lee, I need all sorts of help… but be that as it may.. —

I’ve got you in enough doo doo busting up the new NJBMX site, so’s I’ll flounder out here for awhile, LOL

bmiddaugh

ok, so let me start getting a list here:

*Pictures
    *video or panorama of the track layout
    *map-directions
    *area info i.e.: hotels, food, entertainment, etc.
    *easy contact info
    *schedule, should be able to click a link and print it
    *new rider-parent section
    *easy to see race on or off section on front page
    *rss feeds to BMX sites
    *links to pertanent BMX sites
    *rider of the week-month…not sure how to do that with impunity
    *point standings and results (this will be dependant on the nbl getting their software act together, there will be a place for it but until it is easily updatable…)

I will also be adding a new feature or two:
    *website registration so you can automatically be on the mailing list and it will make it easier to do mass emails to everyone.
    *allowing other people the ability to upload thier pictures to share on the CJ site, when they become members
    *been mulling over the idea of putting up the concession stand menu, lol.
    *possible CJ members only forum. to be part of that forum you would need to fill out a form at the track to be on it.

bmiddaugh

*ability to order products like posters, mugs, shirts etc from the pictures at the website with proceeds to go to CJ

bmxmom156

concession menu???

ok then can i text my order in and have it delivered to the medic chair with my 50/50 tickets?

haha you are really over the top with this one…..lol dont spoil us now!

bmiddaugh

sure, we’ll just do a wireless network to the shop modem then you can just put your order in on your web enabled iphone. it’s no big deal.

bmiddaugh

besides spelling pertinent wrong….
    what do you guys think are the biggest questions asked by…
    new riders?
    new parents?
    people who are unsure how to go about volunteering?

loudogg666

you should ask what rodney what to ask.
    he is still pretty new to the racing scene.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • The topic ‘Dream BMX track website’ is closed to new replies.