Homepage Forums Anything But Riding… The Dog-Father Ain’t that a "white boy sport"

• This topic has 12 voices and 22 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    BIGANT-DOG

this is something i hear when I am in the hood. (Plainfield) And it iritates the piss out of me. Yeah I joke around (TBG) BUt the fact hat “my people” are so damn ignorant kills me. Part of thisis the way bmx is marketed. It is not mainstream enough yet.

If these kids and adults knew about terry tennette steve veltman cecil johns percy owens jeff upshaw.and those are oh yeah tommy brackens!!!!!!

Why does it ihave to be a white boy sport. to me there are no color boundries in BMX. when we put our gear on we are all one color. wanna know some thing the brothers in the barbershop had no idea what bmx was,except for my barber(he knows how much i love bmx) Now when i go in they ask me if am racing this weekend and our state series poster hangs up in the window.

Brett I know alot of your bikes got ripped pff and ended up in the hood. But there are alot of kids who do want to get into racing but no parental involvement and you know how that goes. My ultimate goal is to one day havea bmx track in the inner city, Yeah i know who would come? Well I would bust my ass to make it a success. The reason iam so into it now is because my dad would not take me to the track. ANd i believe GOD has given me a gift my 2 nephews are trying wheeliesand doing tricks. The one is a mini me. All he does is ride.

back on topic. I have not givenup on my dream of a inner city track. Maybe one day i can get the plainfield city council to listen to me. Others have tried in the past,but brett and iknow the head of the dept. of rec. Dave wynn. Not the nicest guy.

When i do cruise in the hood. I am sure to rock my state plate, and people have asked me ? ,but you know the ? they hit me with. Well Iam gonna try my best to promote bmx whenever and wherever i can, But I amgonna try a little harder in the urban areas.

Btw when they ask me how many “brotha’s” come race. I tell em come on down and find out. —

rodney

Dont forget the freestyle guys …Mel Cody,butler,Day Smith,all the new guys this list is endless!!!

BIGANT-DOG

thanx rod, was focused on the racing aspect last night, But i did not forget about them. Gives me an idea for an article.

BrianP

go to mullay…………………..

it aint a white boy sport there.

adamguild

I think bmx on a whole is far from a “White Boy sport”…you can also add Eugene Collins on that list of flatlanders that guy rips…….

briantunney

You should get your barber to shave “BMX” on the back of your head.

rodney

HAHAHA!!! the flavor flav of bmx

adamguild

H—O—L—S

H—-I—-T—- WE ARE BLESSED WITH THE PRESENCE OF TUNNEY ALL BOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bmxmom156

not a while boy sport… the local barber dan uses didnt know squat about bmx racing till dan mentioned to him a few yrs b ack now every time he goes in its bmx talk ( and these guys are the over 65 old school italian barbers too!!)

Good luck ant getting a track in a city. I bet if you contacted City Urban Parks and Planning youd find them open to the idea in an existing city park like Braddock was in. Also many cities have large abandoned old factorys etc that an indoor track could go into. Might take a grant to get it started.

Red Pony indoor was in a barn in Lakewood. The Amroy was in an old govt building in Jersey City. You just have to think outside the box also. For instance and old supermarket in the city would be big enough to house an indoor track, freestyle area and Pro Shop. Try getting a grant and a partnership with a bike shop. The shop puts in a pro shop to pay for the lease. The city gets taxes from the bike shop sales and payroll. The city turns an empty building into something positive for the community and for its youth. Could even make it so so low income reisdents get to race or ride the park for free and make sure that a loaner bike and helmet program is set up from day one, so the newspaper and city knows everyone can get into BMX. No rider left behind.

BIGANT-DOG

You should get your barber to shave “BMX” on the back of your head.

Brian i might do that for the regional in June. thanx.

BIGANT-DOG

Deb my barber has been my biggest supporter for years. It’s funny the shop put our state poster right in the window, but another place put it in the corner of their store. Oh and I was not trying to offend anyone by the title of this topic. That is the statement that i get when I tell most of the “african-american” people in “the hood” what I do. Oh the other thing I hear is “how much do you make” I geuss some people do not understand anymore, about doing it for the love of what you do.

bmxmom156

if they think its a white boys sport they obviously havent raced at any fla tracks… believe me we were the minority when we went to orlando. i think it just depends on the area where the track is located( if its a local draw) like he said an inner city/ urban would be different. when secaucus used to draw from nyc the riders were certainly more ethnically diverse.. i guess that was their local area.

that inner city track sounds like a good idea.

BIGANT-DOG

Before I even approach them, the first mission is to get rider count up. And you know we are all working on that.

BIGANT-DOG

All the guys in the shop love the poster.

And you can see it clear across the street.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.