• This topic has 12 voices and 34 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    bmxmom156

you would need to speak to matt about that he is the one with all the explainations of why we cant do this or that as he deals with the county officials on a regular basis as i was told on saturday. apparently fighting city hall will bring more bad than good in that area. this is what i was told. i have no comment either way on this.(for now) dan would have been there doing the same thing if the track had 5 motos or 50 it dosnt matter to him. it needed work and they( he and gary) just offered to help out. do i think it can be bigger and better- yes. it was years ago.

i disagreed with the thinking of “starting a new” but when i think about it maybe it was for selfish reasons because we have a history with the track. after this past weekend i am rethinking all of this. its hard to throw away 13 yrs. the ppl who are just starting out need to get involved, bottom line. being happy staying under the radar isnt in my blood.

XMotoXchick

Why do people have to fight city hall ? Have they ever tried working with the city to show what a good thing they have by running the track on the property. Having a negative attitude makes the track more aware to the town as a waste of time. By not growing the track and showing it as a asset they have dug their own grave. From what I witnessed at the last state meeting I was at, Matt did not show himself to be well informed on the topics he was speaking of. In fact he was ill informed and confrontational and needs to take a public speaking class and if that is who is representing you to the town. Along with Jeff Morgan. I would say that is your problems with the town.

XMotoXchick

When Matt makes statements like flying under the radar or We don’t want to send red flags to the IRS. I would think they have some shady stuff going on. Its not the brightest thing to say that in front of a room, full of people.

BIGANT-DOG

my this is getting intresting. And i have to agree with chris on one point

Why do people have to fight city hall ? Have they ever tried working with the city to show what a good thing they have by running the track on the property

We do not have a track in the edison area, yet — But I have learned that by working with tthe town, it gives you a little more leverage, When you do approach them. And when it does happen it will be neither nbl or aba. Just a track.

RaidenHayden

We all know I’m out spoken, but here is what I have to offer, and it’s in Matts defense. Goverment likes to make itself bigger, to make itself more imprtant! That being said, the county sees land sitting there that some agency probably has grand plans for!!! So sometimes the best coarse of action is no action. Or, the lets not poke the bear saying applies here. Thats my 2cents

XMotoXchick

That’s why if the track was made into a great asset and not just a waste of space the towns people will fight to keep it… FOR THE KIDS….Making friends in the town also helps.. cause most times its who you know.

CrazyCraig

@RaidenHayden wrote:

We all know I’m out spoken, but here is what I have to offer, and it’s in Matts defense. Goverment likes to make itself bigger, to make itself more imprtant! That being said, the county sees land sitting there that some agency probably has grand plans for!!! So sometimes the best coarse of action is no action. Or, the lets not poke the bear saying applies here. Thats my 2cents

Yes, there is probably some bureaucrat somewhere with a budget he needs to spend on something that will accomplish nothing, so I can see Matt & Bill’s point. But, I also see Chris’ point. I guess you gotta just keep building it “under the radar” until hopefully you can show the town some hard numbers. But, for what it’s worth, I do not think most of the families coming in spend much money “in town”, especially since you cant have big races there that would bring in the overnight campers, etc. HCBMX needs to first focus on Flemington and the surrounding towns by getting into the schools, etc, to promote the sport. If Hayden ever gets the Jefferson track going, I will work to do the same because I live about 20 minutes from the proposed site.

I don’t know all the reasons the town won’t allow camping on the property for a big race, but they are missing an opportunity to make some revenue from it for sure.

Are we like, waaaaay off topic now?

RaidenHayden

Look, here is the bottom line. there are kids that race there. Would we like it bigger there, sure, of coarse!!! So any one that thinks they can help to that end, go down and volunteer on a regular basis. I have spoken with some of the same county people in the coarse of my duties, and know we need to proceed with caution here. If someone has a better idea, please come down and help Matt , and the rest down there!!!!

“under the radar” just meant don’t piss off the neighbors if you don’t have to.
    HC normally does not race on Sunday, so when they do, there is no reason to be a$$e$$ about it.

bmxmom156

from what i understand what was told to me the county is just dying to take that property back for some reason thats why we have to be careful. not attract attn unfortunately means no promotion … like an oxymoron to me

BIGANT-DOG

But if the track is popular and doing well then it makes it harder for them to snatch it. If you keep having low moto counts then it makes it easier, or am i just crazy. 😯 Something smells like horseshit, and for once it ain’t none of us. Someone has their eye on that property, now the trick is to find out who.

BIGANT-DOG

what in the hell would you put there?

sickryder83

Years ago the there were only a few buildings there. Now, every year more and more gets built up around it. They are closing in. If you think about it the track doesn’t really fit in there (in thier eyes). Also the reason for overnight camping not being aloud is years ago when they had the national at hc, there was some vandalism that took place. From what i understand the landlord flipped out and declared that there was to be no overnight camping anymore.

rodney

My 2 cents … bmx does not bring in enough money even on a good day the town wants money plain and simple ( walmart , condos , ) look at the speedway oh wait thats gone . ask Paul Shields how much crap he has to deal with with his skatepark sorry but just dont think the olypics are the cure all !!! AND why dont we make the tracks that we have better first instead of starting new ones all over the place more doesnot always mean better Is it really this hard to find an outlet ( tracks , skateparks flatlad lots ) to ride our bikes

CrazyCraig

Rodney, believe it or not, more tracks are needed if we are going to increase the number of racers in NJ. But, they dont need to be sanctioned tracks, just having a bunch of practice tracks like Lumberton would be a good deal, and from there you lead them to the “race tracks”.

Remember, we are up against Nintendo, XBox, soccer, baseball, football, etc. In 1982 I could hop on my bike and ride from Morristown to BELLEVILLE to go to Scavones without any issue but most parents today wont let their kids out of the neighborhood on their bike. Its not easy getting newbies to drive an hour or more to race unless they have had some good exposure first. Yes, the local tracks need to get the word out in their geographic. But if I do a demo in Parsippany, chances are most parents will say they have better things to do then drive to Flemington. But, tell them there is a track in Jefferson, thats different. Better chance they’ll go.

A friend is running to get back on our town council. He is very pro-kids. He should make it back on, and then I will try to work through him in my area for a practice track. I think that is the true ticket to getting more racers in NJ. We need 100 practice tracks around the state!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.