Homepage Forums NJ BMX Racing NJ BMX Racers Forum Young rider open series

• This topic has 10 voices and 25 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    bmiddaugh

Seems this has evolved beyond the other topic.
    Why not keep it going someplace where you can keep track of it.

And as for what to give as awards, the novel idea would be to…

ask the kids… 🙄

A real novel idea would be to have some parents moderate a completely seperate forum just for the younger riders so that they could get ideas from them. Trust me they have opinions and thoughts all their own, at least I did when I was a little squaj.

TenaciousD

If this were to take place….

What would be the range of ages needs to be asked.

There has to be a cutoff point i would guess because at some point the older young uns would probably win most if not all of it, that wouldn’t be fun to watch.

Does anyone else think there would be enough riders involved that each race in the series would have a main ?

The inaugural New Jersey Young Gun Series has a nice ring to it 😀

bmxmomof2

There really needs to be a lot of sincere thought about the ages for the “Young Gun Open”
    1. I personally believe that there is too much of an age span between 5 & under through 15.
    2. Maybe, we should consider running an open series for all of the younger open classes (5 classes total)? 7 & UNDER, 8-9, 10-11, 12-13, and 14-15. I know it soulds like a lot of prizes, but at least every child who chooses to participate has the opportunity to succeed especially when they are racing others their same age. It would be devistating to to a 6 year old to have to race a 14 y/o. And yes, I knpow that some one is saying that 16 – 29 open is also a big span, but by the time any rider is 16, he/she has developed the skill to compete at that level.
    3. The money charged for the open, or at least a portion of, should be used for the prizes for each class. Even though the opens will generate more motos at the race, it is no money lost, so why not throw the fees collected back to the riders in the way of prizes.
    4. Again, this is only a WIN WIN situation for everyone!

I say lets give it a try! Can’t say it won’t work if it is not tried!!!!

bmiddaugh

just for the record.
    way back when us old guys used to race, early 80’s or so.
    there was always opens at the local races broken into age groups like the ones that were just mentioned.
    it was how you could figure out if you could hang with the big guns BITD.
    but with lessened moto counts I guess it sort of deteroriated

bmxmomof2

We still have to remember that…….

you must race class to race open.

bmiddaugh

you must race class to race open.

I personally do not believe that is the way it should be. I can’t remember if it was like that way BITD, but I can only see that as a way to generate revenue for the track-state.
    I believe this should be voted on.

bmiddaugh

This may lead to another topic, but, at least locally, the age groupings that bmxmom just put up would be better than the single age ones we have now.

2 man classes at a BMX race are pretty sad.

phantom

I would like to see 7 and under then 8 to 10 , 11 to 13 and 14/15 a liitle bigger age span the way bmxmom posted that would be small motos.I think this would let the kids mix it up more in the mottos and make it easier to have the opens if you run into a low number rider count any questions on my input fire away.I would like to know who is heading up the young guns series.Thankyou

bmxmom156

as per dan: suggestion he asked me to post for him…

7 and under
    8-11
    12-15

with prizes for each.. remember there will be more riders being its no proficiency.. novs with experts mixing it up…so maybe the younger ones wouldnt be as intimidated ( ie 10x racing 12 nov)

he said making the motos fuller would be better than having 3 kids in each

TenaciousD

I will help with this in any way possible.

Im guessing this idea now needs to be brought to a state meeting as a proposal correct ?

moderator1

@TenaciousD wrote:

Im guessing this idea now needs to be brought to a state meeting as a proposal correct ?

You are correct.

rodney

7 may be to old, look at all the 4 year olds coming up they will never hang with a 7 year old …. 3 years of racing under their belt !!!!! I

phantom

I will attend any meetings for the riders series and state meetings.I just need a reasonable notice when the meetings will be held.

kevh

My 4 year old son has beaten 7 year olds, anything is possible in BMX. And the class is officially 5 and under so it is only 2 years. He rarely gets a true 5 and under class to begin with so 7 and under would be normal for him.

bmxmom156

thats true what kev said. i remember when dan was 5 nov there were none so he was always combined with 6-7 yr olds it didnt bother him at all( he loved chasing them anyway)

since we have an abundance of 4 yr olds who will be 5 ( assuming next season) they really will be a true 5 under class so that makes the 7 under closer in age. ( does that make sense?)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.