Homepage Forums Grassroots BMX Ideas, Innovations Statistics from videos

• This topic has 10 voices and 14 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Caveman

I noticed some interesting things from the videos I took at the National this weekend:

Pros took approx 32 seconds to finish the track.
    Pro girls were only 3 to 4 seconds slower
    From the starting gate to the middle of first turn. 7 seconds.
    Fastest way around the track is speed jumping EVERYTHING. Most pros never left the ground. Is that BMX? Whatever happened to the whole attraction behind BMX? Jumping your bike.

bmiddaugh

Dave….
    I was just discussing this with Dale…
    If BMX wants real coverage, we need to get the pro level racing OFF THE GROUND….Literally.

bmiddaugh

This is gonna sound nuts, but water holes spring to mind….

LeadSled1

Hey homer, what happened to the 30-34 video? We are coming out of the gate at the end of the 35+ video. Can’t get no love.

pjtaft

just curious,.. did you get times on any of the other ages / classes? I’m just curious what the actual time difference is

Caveman

Mmmmm, water holes. Never jumped one. So you could to a Rod and Rex and pimp the competition into the water hole? Sweet.

It looks from the videos that 18-21 x is just as fast as pro, and 35-39 cruiser, and 35+over x are very close behind. I didn’t check any other classes. The real difference is first straight pull for getting out in front. It’s possible that 16x’s have the same track speed as pros but they’d get shut down out of the gate.

Sorry Jess, didn’t get 30-34. Turns out I have more than enough memory on my card too. Next time.

RaidenHayden

York had a water hole the one year, come out of the last turn and stay left. If you took it it was faster

s4lnj

i was telling someone at work this same thing the other day— i enjoy watching the pro races because i can appriciate thier speed and skill— but to someone outside of bmx racing– it would be pretty boring to watch

the roots of bmx mimic motorcross right?– i have news for ya, they aint manualing in motorcross

tough fix– water holes are great, you can put an inflatable shark in there!!!! untill the 5 rookies is takin a swim–

pro sections seem to be the answer– or tracks like CJ that are pushing the envelope– i know there was a big stink about the dub in the first straight– but maybe they saw something that other people are just realizing?

Kmart

The Pro Section at the Xmas Classic this year in Ohio was pretty crazy. The Pros actually jumped over one of the amature berms….I thought the jumps were there for a Dirt Jumping expo or something. Made for some pretty good spectating. Made me glad I never turned pro.

Hey Wogs,
    How is the training coming along???

Kmart

CrazyCraig

Howard County Maryland had a split third straight – stay to the left and you had to jump a water hole with an inflatable gator in it. It was sweet.

I cased my back rim several times on it. You had to come out of turn 2 just right to keep your speed. It would allow a guy in the back with no one in his way to make up ground, too.

Kmart – Wog has been out riding. He even showed up at the National with the wife and kids to check the comp.

CrazyCraig

Back in 84-85 I remember there being alot of jumps that had to be jumped at the Nats. Big step-ups, doubles, even triples shaped like a Z. They really separated the men from the boys in some races.

dunrite9

Kmart

I think i’m right on track with my training, I lost 25 pounds, I’ve been riding a 20″ with a 39-16 gear, I’m going to try to get some track time in soon. I feel like i’m half way there.

See Ya

I’ll been riding the 24″ now, took apart the 20″ today

bmxlegend

bmx racing is gto “safe” to have jumps where you HAVE to jump.. everyone is scared of getting hurt…iuts lame.. and i hate it..so.. ill just ride trails and curbs that are more fun than a bmx track..4 more months, and the bmx racing helmet is hung up..

CrazyCraig

@dunrite9 wrote:

I’ve been riding a 20″ with a 39-16 gear

39-16 on a 20″????? Now thats spinning!!

pjtaft

i’m sporting a 45-16 on the FA …

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.