Homepage Forums Anything But Riding… General B.S. Riders Step up _Parents Step back

• This topic has 7 voices and 13 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    BIGANT-DOG

Today I went to a “freestyle contest” put together by mostly riders and I noticed a laid back atmosphere, no yelling at kids for Not pulling a trick etc. In the 3 years i have been racing I have seen parents yell at their kids for not trying hard enough, “why didn’t you pump through the rythm section. At this contest parents were there but they were hanging out watching. Where am i going with this.

If you notice freestyle used to be the bastard step son of bmx, Now it is the other way around. When feestyle was dead the riders took control. Now look where they are. I am not saying that the people who have put their time in should fade away, but if you have people who are willing to help do not turn them away. I am not talking about anyone in particular but the sport as a whole.

I am sure if you asked for rider input they would give it. example, Before you change a track, ask the riders what they think. Do you want a track that any kid can get on and ride,or do you want a supercross style bmx track. Or what do you think we can do to bring in more riders.

Some people think that racers can’t race and organize, Well geuss what people thought that freestylers could not run stuff, and we know how that went. I have heard that racers have approached the nbl and offerd their help but were turned away, Why is this? If i were in charge i would be asking for rider input on a daily basis.

The on thing i told my team is that without you there is no NBL Or ABA, you are not to held hostage by any sanction. Freestyle has no sanction body and they are not doing that bad. When you go into a bike shop what do you see more of. race bikes or freestyle bikes? I talk to all of the bike shops in the area and they tell me t he same thing. Kids show no intrest in racing. Which leads me to this

Today i realized the core group of BIKE RIDERS is the 11 to 15 year old kids. They want to jump on their bikes and ride, not have to go put on disco slippers. I asked someone why do you them if you do not like them, “Because I do not think I can win without them” Clips are not helping develop this sport. I talked to a rider today, and he said i do not wanna have to spend money on pedals and switch em when i go to the sk8park. You can see where i am going with this.

Some of you may not like what i say but if you know me by now, that does not bother me in the least.

RaidenHayden

Well said Ant!!!!! The future is the younger riders, and they wanna ride, and have a good time. And if there is a local hotshot, they may wanna be that rider

phantom

I always here the clips thing and dont understand the problem.I dont really care what you run just race you butt of eitherway.I think the site should have a section for the young girls and boys on a regular bases.We should concentrait more on that then clips.Raidens raiders , bigants bombers and purepowers pirates section on here.The clip talk is getiing me dizzy lets move on to more importantly racing.

RaidenHayden

Yeah. it’s been beat to death, we really need to concetrate on those kids

phantom

Raiden has your track ever had friday night dances for the kids or pizza parties at the track!

RaidenHayden

Which track you talkin about?

phantom

raiden any of the tracks you were involved inn.

racerx

bicycles are fun to ride, by the way i rmemeber talkin to you about this today at the comp

RaidenHayden

We had done stuff in the pizza vien of things, but not like a dance, and I don’t think the kids would be into it. I know at Cedar, after the races, people hang for awhile and ride, or there were group of us that after that went out to eat someplace, so it was always like an event

RaidenHayden

I can say at my backyard trails, we have done bon fires and that, it’s always been fun

bmiddaugh

BMX is about the riders.
    We keep saying kill the clips because it is foreign to these kids who like to jump and HAVE FUN to tie their feet to the pedals.
    NO, they don’t HAVE to, but then you have all these parents saying if you wanna be competitive you gotta do it.
    So I say, F clips. And AGAIN, you could pull in like 20 shoe SPONSORS if you banned clips and used REGULAR sneakers.
    but whatever,
    BMX racing will be run by riders, it’s coming.
    Your target demographic is 11-15 year old kids, speak to them and you have something.

kevh

Ban clips for anyone under expert.

Let the kids get in, enjoy the sport, then step up to clips/training/carbon fiber if they want to.

4130forlife

bmx is fun..

let people use what they want i guess.. if they want to look like a clown with stupid disco shoes.. so be it..i will make sure i am the 1st to call 911 when they bust their asses cause they couldnt unclip and break their hips.. i dont care anymore.. im done with that topic for sure

bmiddaugh

how about we ban BMX for anyone without a sense of humor? 😮 😆

4130forlife

sounds like a plan brett

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.