Homepage Forums NJ BMX Racing NJ BMX Racers Forum Quarry dust question

• This topic has 7 voices and 20 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    AirportFF

I was going to ask this in the other thread but it was locked.

What is the source for the quarry dust? What are the analytical properties of it. Dependent on the source, some quarry dust has been found to contain asbestos, and silica.

I’m not trying to start a argument. Just wondering where it comes from.

bmiddaugh

No biggie Airport.
    Legit question.
    Answers?

Maybe you should change this thread name to reflect the topic. I’m sure the mods will keep it from going in a …stupid direction.

Thanks for the insight.

TenaciousD

Not sure of the source.
    If you are seriously interested i can ask and find out for you.
    let me know.

AirportFF

I am absolutely interested in the source. And the analytical data if available.
    I did environmental construction for years before the fire service. The company I worked for (J. Fletcher Creamer in Hackensack) did cleanup work all over Jersey.
    Any fill material or topsoil type of covering has to be certified clean material by a lab.
    Some time ago the town that Matt lives in was filling an area for a playground. I questioned the source of the fill and got no answers. I grabbed six random sample and sent them to the lab we used at work and they found asbestos, benzene, and chromium in it.
    It was considered suitable fill material for some type of construction (brownfield re-development). But not for the use that they were using it for.

TenaciousD

I know of that company, J. Fletcher Creamer. They used to have a pretty large place in Middlesex….used to see those brown trucks everywhere.

Ok, i will ask where the stuff is coming from and will let you know.

bmxmom156

just a comment backing up jims explaination on them maintanance of quarry dust. many years ago when the track first had the quarry dust surface this was a WEEKLY before the race( not 30 mins before the race more like 2 hrs before) chore… we would always get there early to see jim sig and chris klamka and some others already out there on the track with the hoses and tamps and most of all the QUAD which i believe was mulherns ..the track was raked and excess dust removed ( not put into the ruts to fill it in)then more was applied if needed, if not it was hosed down, tamped using the quad to pull the darn thing up and down the jumps too..( not like by hand when dan and jim and gary used it that week) it is very labor intensive as jim says IF its done right. the track was really in great shape but its due to weekly maintanance not once or twice a season.

as a medic i can say if you are wearing full gear( all skin covered none exposed) it is better when you fall as you slide on the dust rather than hit and stick… but if you have skin exposed you are diging the dust out for days ( ouch)

it does get into your skin so i would be interested in seeing its composition ( dan had some in his lip for about 2 yrs after a bad crash when he was little) so came the full face helmet investment…lol

like i said it is great when someone knows what they are doing to keep it up. i dont remember it being mushy when it rained it seemed to dry faster for whatever reason..( as long as the drainage was adequate and not clogged)

does anyone know another track in the northeast that uses it or has a better method of application/ maintanance?

PArider086

i agree with you it would take alot of work, not puttin anyone down though b/c i know i missed the summer racing, but every race day i was able to make i would be there at 7 in the morning with only matt coming at 7:30. so i am willing to do all the work for the dust but i do need a little more help then just myself. i am also not tring to say that i am the only person working on the track. i know dan and gary help alot also and you have a far drive to get there but other people that live close could possibly help instead of complaning about the quary dust.

now i’m not tring to start anything with others so no one blow this up into a huge deal

TenaciousD

Wholly quarry dust batman !

TenaciousD

Wholly quarry dust batman !

RaidenHayden

Holy rrrrrrr roaad rrrrrr rash bat man

RaidenHayden

Holy rrrrrrr roaad rrrrrr rash bat man

TenaciousD

Its that or the shards of rock sticking up out of the track… 😆

TenaciousD

Its that or the shards of rock sticking up out of the track… 😆

bmiddaugh

ROCKS!
    I HAVE NO FEAR OF ROCKS!
    FOR I HAVE RACED THE GREAT BRADDOCK BMX
    IN NORTH BERGEN.

HULK SMASH ROCK!

(Bill should get that one…)

bmiddaugh

ROCKS!
    I HAVE NO FEAR OF ROCKS!
    FOR I HAVE RACED THE GREAT BRADDOCK BMX
    IN NORTH BERGEN.

HULK SMASH ROCK!

(Bill should get that one…)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.