Homepage Forums NJ BMX Racing NJ Racing old ok what does everyone think about the new slingshot rule?

• This topic has 6 voices and 14 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    bmxmom156

or should i say allowing slingshots?

if you want to see a slingshot in detailed view… go to http://www.bmxvideo.net

scroll down to “analysis of a slingshot”

see what you think. i know alot of riders are doing this now where they may have been the average rider in the group and now are gating the best of them. at least in the older classes…

i would like to hear some opinions. i personally dont like it… but i think like they say it will be like clips once were… this is out of the mouth of a 16 yr old.

is it an advantage? watch the video and then make an opinion.

bmiddaugh

You should be careful with them, you could take someones eye out.. 😆

Don’t you get like 6 inches to slingshot…?

RFarside

I was told the rule is after you hear watch the lights that’s when you can start to pull back from the gate.

1adam12
    LeadSled1

With the upcoming random gate drops I think things will change a little. I’m guessing that us guys at the UCI Worlds will get to see it first.

You will get:

Riders ready

Watch the lights

and then after a random time delay the lights and horns will start.

bmxmom156

so if you are a person who likes to use the lights for gates will this affect you at all? seems like this may be the only wat to stay consistant and not have to change if you use lights now it will be ok if they change it?
    am i understanding this correctly?( seems confusing to me)

RaidenHayden

People will start screaming when the delay is too long and the little ones are falling over in the gate. I see some heated discussions at the gate as a result, and when did all this start ?

bmiddaugh

Bill, you’re from the bygone days…Rich might remember this as well…
    ABA…about 82-83.

Riders ready,
    Watch the lights.
    Red
    Yellow
    and anytime after yellow the gate could drop
    instantly or 3 seconds
    man, the fun we had flipping people at the gate at braddock, 😆

LeadSled1

This is also from Rich’s site and shows how it works.

http://www.bmxvideo.net/ImageFolio4_files/gallery/Videos/ProGate_Random_Start.wmv

It has been discussed big time on the NBL side. ABA is supposed to implement something also. That should be interesting.

RaidenHayden

IT’s still not random like the old ABA rule, you still have the horns, I see this as a flash in the pan that wil cause some to change from one sanction to another for awhile after the parents start complaining, just another speed bump in the road for bmx. They worry about this, as opposed to where all the riders have gone all these years, and now they will chase away a few more I thinnk

bmiddaugh

Bill, I hear you’re changing your name from Rayden to “the hammer”,
    cause you always hit the nail on the head….

bmxmom156

dont agree with the random gate thng either. it seems they should make up their mind and stick with one thing( both sanctions plus uci)

see nebmxnews.com/phpBB/ there are some older guys who used to race when this rule was in effect. some interesting comments as well…

do they decide on these things at competition congress? or is it just the powers that be who decide? just curious if this is a voted on issue or just “here it is now we will allow this” all of a sudden… i remember when it was against the rules the person who ran gates wouldnt enforce it anyway- it seems too subjective- prob just easier to get rid of the rule…

RaidenHayden

It seems to be a powers to be decision Deb, the only way they will be attentive to the fact we don’t like it is through our voices and the race attendance. We should have a say in what happens with the sport, both the parents and the riders, but these are the only tools we have to effect any change now

bmxmom156

the other thing i forgot to mention- does 1 rider w/slingshot gate affect the other riders that dont?

case example… a few weeks ago at a state race an older( sorry guys..) rider who was in the money open was overheard saying that so and so ( who will remain nameless) threw him off when he started his slingshot and it moved/bounced the gate( forget the words he used) so i guess it can affect the other riders concentration somehow… ??

interesting to say the least…. i seriously never noticed it till this yr when now it seems like most of the faster riders are all doing it.

would love to know if the top 3 winners in the16/over opens at nationals slingshot or snap??

who can find this out? can you do a poll on it somehow?

LeadSled1

Upshaw, Kapes (usually in the top of 16 and over) have huge slingshots. Upshaw is starting to go back to the traditional snap over some flack he has caught for slinging. Some kids are switching back and forth so it is hard to tell in the rest of the 16+ group.

If the gate is “flexy” when a rider pushes off of it to get the bike to move backward the gate will move and can throw off your balance and in turn screw up your timing as you are fighting to keep the bike up. If they are in gate 1 or 8 (further away from the air ram) the gate moves more. A lot of times it screws people just because you see the movement in your periferal vision.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.