Homepage Forums NJ BMX Racing Racing Veterans Look ma! No clips!

• This topic has 7 voices and 6 replies.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    CrazyCraig

Mr. T, Terry Tenette, doubled up in Masters at the Hoosier Nats with NO CLIPS.

Click the link for the cover story on the NBL website. Look at the pic. NO CLIPS.

http://nbl.org/nbl/hidethis/frameset.htm

Clips, we dont need no stinkin’ clips!! 😛

See, it can be done!

rider1

For the record I am not big on clips. Yes I use them, however, It is hard to win without them. In the case of Terry, who I know very well, he could win on anything. He was NBL champ like five times. Mabey if we all got together clips could be banned for good. I know it would make racing a whole lot better. If nothing elese it would make things a whole lot safer.

LeadSled1

On a crazy downhill track like E-ville the advantage of clips is less due to the slope of the track. But, Mr. T. would be even faster if he did clip and use them correctly. It just happens at that track, and in that class he doesn’t need them to win. I would love if they banned them for all. But until they do I will clip in.

If you can’t spin at least 180 rpm on flats, trade your bike for a bowling ball.

4130forlife

clips suck… bottom line..

Im not sure if I would use clips. My Redline crusier doesnt have them and Im sure if I trained a bit I could beat many riders my age (not top riders) even if they have them. NO Dave I couldnt beat you even if I trained darn it!

But I cant try clips as I live with a torn ACL and my knee goes out way to easy to chance clips. I have Insurance but the surgery means going on disability and filling out forms and I dont even know where to start on all that.

FSHUM

Clips take all of the motocross-like-action out of the race. It sucks for spectators. guys are staying all low to the ground and doing all these “weak clipped in moves”, trying to save what, one or two seconds. sure you might have won the race, but in the larger scope of BMX racing, it sucks. The scale at which people are speeding up to the point that determines which they are catching air, or not catching air, is so close in physical measure to the rider trying to win the race, but to the spectator it makes all of the difference in excitement level. Sure someone who is a fellow hardcore racer might be like, “hey did you see how well that clipped in guy rolled that jump, that was awesome”, but someone’s “beer drinking-football-fan-uncle from Pittsburg” who came to watch a race wouldn’t see anyone jumping and would probably lose interest after watching a couple motos and walk away thinking bmx is pretty lame. (or wouldn’t notice one way or another because he lost interest so fast.)
    I’m just being real opinionated, and kind of sarcastic, but in some ways this is how I feel. Sure clips are cool in there own way, and I think we shouldn’t do away with them (just have a seperate class for them Bart). I say leave the clipped in footwear for the downhill skiers. Or at least seperate us into different groups in the bmx world. Make clipped in racing like the cruiser class: optional.

FSHUM

I retract any statement I made about clips. do what ever you want. Call me Mel. Sorry.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.