Homepage Forums Anything But Riding… 4130’s Pub Crawl Global Warming continued…Interesting Article

• This topic has 5 voices and 10 replies.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    adamguild

Two New Books Confirm Global Warming is Natural; Not Caused By Human Activity

Drudge Report
    Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Two powerful new books say today’s global warming is due not to human activity but primarily to a long, moderate solar-linked cycle. Unstoppable Global Warming Every 1500 Years, by physicist Fred Singer and economist Dennis Avery was released just before Christmas. The Chilling Stars: A New Theory of Climate Change, by Danish physicist Henrik Svensmark and former BBC science writer Nigel Calder (Icon Books), is due out in March.

Singer and Avery note that most of the earth’s recent warming occurred before 1940, and thus before much human-emitted CO2. Moreover, physical evidence shows 600 moderate warmings in the earth’s last million years. The evidence ranges from ancient Nile flood records, Chinese court documents and Roman wine grapes to modern spectral analysis of polar ice cores, deep seabed sediments, and layered cave stalagmites.

Unstoppable Global Warming shows the earth’s temperatures following variations in solar intensity through centuries of sunspot records, and finds cycles of sun-linked isotopes in ice and tree rings. The book cites the work of Svensmark, who says cosmic rays vary the earth’s temperatures by creating more or fewer of the low, wet clouds that cool the earth. It notes that global climate models can’t accurately register cloud effects.

The Chilling Stars relates how Svensmark’s team mimicked the chemistry of earth’s atmosphere, by putting realistic mixtures of atmospheric gases into a large reaction chamber, with ultraviolet light as a stand-in for the sun. When they turned on the UV, microscopic dropletsâ€â€Â￾cloud seedsâ€â€Â￾started floating through the chamber.

“We were amazed by the speed and efficiency with which the electrons [generated by cosmic rays] do their work of creating the building blocks for the cloud condensation nuclei,â€ÂÂ￾ says Svensmark.

The Chilling Stars documents how cosmic rays amplify small changes in the sun’s irradiance fourfold, creating 1-2 degree C cycles in earth’s temperatures: Cosmic rays continually slam into the earth’s atmosphere from outer space, creating ion clusters that become seeds for small droplets of water and sulfuric acid. The droplets then form the low, wet clouds that reflect solar energy back into space. When the sun is more active, it shields the earth from some of the rays, clouds wane, and the planet warms.

Unstoppable Global Warming documents the reality of a moderate, natural, 1500-year climate cycle on the earth. The Chilling Stars explains the why and how.

RaidenHayden

Can’t deny the fact that this has gone on before. Are we adding, maybe, but not to the degree that has been made out to be. It’s seems like if the media can’t hype some bad news, there is no news. And man do I want a palm tree in my back yard!!!!!!!!!

adamguild

Just read the article.Thought I woud share…

XMotoXchick

It is well known that the earth has gone through heating and warming trends… I posted all that in the last global warming thread. What I think you are finding misleading is the (rate)…. Most heating periods took place over thousands of years not a couple hundred…
    The basis of global warming is that the earth is heating up to quickly not that it is heating up… The reason it is heating to Quickly is do to green house gases that retain heat…
    Maybe this will clear some things up.

Climate is influenced by many factors, both natural and human. [7] Things that increase temperature, such as increases in heat-trapping emissions from cars and power plants or an increase in the amount of radiation the sun emits, are examples of “positive” forcings or drivers. Volcanic events and some types of human-made pollution, both of which inject sunlight-reflecting aerosols into the atmosphere, lower temperature and are examples of “negative” forcings or drivers. Natural climate drivers include the sun’s energy output, aerosols from volcanic activity, and changes in snow and ice cover. Human climate drivers include heat-trapping emissions from cars and power plants, aerosols from pollution, and soot particles.

In their search for clues, scientists compared two natural drivers of climate (solar changes and volcanic aerosols) and three human drivers of climate (heat-trapping emissions, aerosol pollution, and ozone depletion), altering these one at a time in their sophisticated models. Changes in the sun during the twentieth century have warmed both the troposphere and stratosphere. But human activities have increased heat-trapping emissions and decreased stratospheric ozone. This has led to the troposphere warming more because the increase in heat-trapping emissions is trapping more of Earth’s outgoing heat. The stratosphere has cooled more because there is less ozone to absorb incoming sunlight to heat up the stratosphere. Both these effects combine to shift the boundary upward. Over the period 1979-1999, a study shows that human-induced changes in heat-trapping emissions and ozone account for more than 80 percent of the rise in tropopause height. [10] This is yet another example of how science detectives are quantifying the impact of human activities on climate.

looks like a good time to go buy that Suburban I have been eyeing up 😀

XMotoXchick

If you have money to waste …go for it 😀

bmiddaugh

So are you saying that humans are a natural disaster?
    I could agree with that in a few ways.
    LOL

RaidenHayden

I know I’m a natural disaster
    This is the first year in many that we have increased wetlands, INCREASED. Some of our conservation efforts seem to be meddling with things, like moving animals to another place, or protecting them from whatever, and if that is they case would we have saved the dinosaurs? ‘LOOK OUT here comes T-REX”, I don’t think so!! If man is to blame to some extent, like the wetlands, within a few years they will have it all figured out. Between no and then, fossil fuels are fair game 😀

XMotoXchick

I beg to differ. If you look at the track record of the Bush administration they have gutted all the environmental programs for Big oil and natural gas… They have been given rights to drill in national parks and protected lands to further their interests. I think some more research is needed before you can make a statement like that…If you continue to go with blind ignorance and say “Hey I will be dead what do I care” Then be glad you wont be there to be held accountable by your children and your grand children.

adamguild

Humans are more like a virus…….

XMotoXchick

I agree with that, just like a cancer lol.

bmiddaugh

Oh now we’re quoting agent smith from the freaking matrix.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.