Homepage Forums NJ BMX Racing NJ Racing old flat pedals

• This topic has 13 voices and 23 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    4130forlife

i just saw results from lake meade or whatever that nbl race last weekend
    and ryan zielinski made the super x main BOTH days
    now i will remind ALL of you.. he rides flat pedals.. and made the main both days

clips are not an advantage
    knowing how to ride your bike is an advantage

bmiddaugh

Remember kids, run your Flat Pedal Revolution stickers.

brokenspokes.net PSA of the day.

Have fun!

CWCCRIDER

but clips are oldschool

4130forlife

hahahahhahahahha

LeadSled1

I’ll be the first one to state that clipless or clip pedals are a 100% factual mechanical advantage.

But that does not mean that they are a racing advantage. I found myself holding back too much when clipped in. Worried about going OTB or looping. In flats I could give a rats ass about that as I know I can handle it not clipped in. So technically I am faster in flats. The clipless setup was a disadvantage to me. But I also grew up in the era that was preclipless. So I will be riding flats for now.

For the new riders who have started in the clipless era they have a different problem. They feel uncomfortable on flats and may also be scared of clipless. They may never reach their full potential as they do not feel 100% comfortable with letting it all hang out on a set of flats and seeing what they are really capable of doing.

It is like saying a short rear triangle on a bike is an advantage. It is a mechanical advantage (easier to pull the front end) but is it a racing advantage? Too short and you will loop out, not feel confident taking a jump at speed etc.

Get my point?

bmiddaugh

Just an FYI, that picture shows where the term clipless came from.
    The new clip in pedals have “no clips”.

Let’s answer a few questions here…
    How far has flatland BMX gone from it’s roots?
    Ever see a flatland bike?
    WAY different than average BMX bike.
    Flatland riders up or down?
    Down.

How far has racing BMX gotten from its roots?
    Clip pedals?
    drug testing pros.
    the same u in a u tracks.
    Racing up or down?
    Down.

BMX is a simple thing.
    Have as much fun as you can on a 20″ bike.
    Make it too specialized and any aspect brought in will begin to die off.

Sullivan

Flat pedals are awesome!!!!!

4130forlife

flat pedals are bmx.. clip shoes are NOT

CrazyCraig

Last Saturday at the Jack Frost I brought my new Atomlab Quikstep pedals. They are very cool and the mechanics are simple.

So….I lace up and “clip in” for the first time. I tried to unclip and fell over, did a total barrel roll on the bottom of the hill heading up to staging.

Finally I get on the gate…almost fell on Pete. Almost fell on the starter. Almost crushed a 5yr old…

Once I did manage to get out of the gate…It didn’t feel that much different but I will admit I was nervous about falling. Granted, this was my first time on the track in clips so it was to be expected. Actually it was my first time EVER clipped in.

That said – I am not clipping back in until I get WAAAY more comfortable with them – plus I need to cut the opening on the sole out more to allow me to unclip easier.

Note to Greg Hill – send me a couple of pairs of Atomlab Aircorp pedals.

I may end up using the Quiksteps on my mountain bike first.

Hey…I did pretty good on flats last year – right?

CrazyCraig

Man – look at how huge those cruisers were back then…

4130forlife

thats right craig.. you diud VERY well last year after not racing for 16 years or some shit… do NOT conform to what many tell you that clips are better.. you and i both know they arent

so does timmy sullivan and my boy dave p.. and brett, and ledsled.. and a million more other bmx geeks

Caveman

I’m gonna invent clipless grips so people will shut up about the pedals.

4130forlife

dave k.. has lost his mind…i repreat.. dave k has lost his mind

CrazyCraig

Now if we can only figure out a way to keep our heads clipped on we got it made….

kevh

Clipless grips have been done, I remember reading about a boy that needed 1 because of an injury.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.