Homepage Forums Grassroots BMX Ideas, Innovations Brett, a soapbox, a township, and a set of friendly trails.

• This topic has 8 voices and 13 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    bmiddaugh

Here’s my wacko idea and it’s gonna take some work to get it going, but I would appreciate ideas because I feel this is a key area to get kids into BMX, beyond freestyle.
    Why did I start riding BMX.
    Simple.
    Jumping.
    Jumped a curb, sweet.
    Dug a hole piled the dirt up, bigger jump, crashed on dirt, didn’t get hurt as bad as pavement, sweeter.
    Huh ? there’s a place where I can go where there’s a bunch of jumps…let me check this out. WOA, I need to change my shorts!…hehe..
    Somehow we need to get a group of people together than can do for dirt jumps, (not x-games jumps, but mellow stuff a new kid can play on) what ramp park companies have done for skateparks.
    Skaters get a skatepark, BMXers get dirt jumping trails..no make that a dirt jumping course, a small sort of BMX track.

Imagine this…
    Townships have these “courses”, better riders get the urge to “go bigger”.
    This takes them to sanctioned tracks “as many as a state can support ridership wise”.
    Which leads to national level.
    Which leads to international.
    Olympics..TV whatever.
    If we can get 1 township to do this, make it succesfull, we are on our way.

1adam12

can you cut me a slice of your enthusiasm……….

CrazyCraig

Here is my 5 cents on the subject (I used to charge 2 cents, but the price of oil pushed that up 😀 )

I was thinking about why have many towns/counties embraced skate parks and not BMX parks?

Answer: no one complains about BMXers (for the most part).

When I was single and still riding my BMX bike around town in my early 20’s, the big uproar was about all the skateboarders tearing up the town. Ordinances were passed banning public skateboarding in a lot of places around Morristown and the surrounding area. Us BMX’ers had more places to ride freely, where as most boarders stuck to local public spots to thrash. Plus, most of our jumps were in the woods where no one really saw us. Out of sight, out of mind.

I’m not saying that your idea won’t work, just know that I don’t think towns see BMXers as a nuisance like they did boarders. We all know in politics the squeaky wheel gets the oil, right?

That said, I have been slowly making friends with a former councilman in our town who really seems to care about the kids and has helped with alot of the other sports programs. He plans on re-running for the council after giving up his seat to run for mayor last year. I’ll update you on that if anything progresses.

I understand where you are going with this Brett, and that is to show people that this is a valid sport that is worthy of their attention and another good outlet for kids and families. We have an uphill battle because of the lack of marketing expertise in the past that has kept alot of BMX out of the mainstream spotlight, at least as far as promoting it as a legitimate sport to the masses.

RaidenHayden

I know they have this in Germany, but then again Europe as a whole is more of a cycling country.

Macdaddy

There is already something similar to this in the works. In Lumberton they decided to build a place just like you describe. The dirt is there, the tractors are there but no work has begun. If you need any more info there is a 17X named Jim Murray that could give you more. I will be at the qualifier on Saturday and will speak to you then.

bmiddaugh

Give me every piece of info you have!

LeadSled1

bmiddaugh

Those are pretty sweet…but they aren’t gonna get joe squid into getting on the track.
    Where the hell is that Jess?

RaidenHayden

France, I have the same pic Tidey emailed me, NICE set huh

bmiddaugh

I may have to rethink my stance on the French…

RaidenHayden

Yeah, lets take it over kick em all out, we’ll have those trails, and the tour de france. All good, whose with me

teel0

I’m on it! 😉

RaidenHayden

As long as youare on my side 😉

teel0

Side? I can think of somewhere else 😀

s4lnj

man– i thaught that was you new back yard jess!!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.