Homepage Forums NJ BMX Racing NJ Racing old bensalem announcement/track closing

• This topic has 5 voices and 10 replies.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    bmxmom156

December 13, 2006

Track Future Plans
    posted by Dave_Fiedler at 12:05 AM

IMPORTANT NEWS TO ALL TRACK RIDERS AND FAMILIES:

For years Bensalem BMX has been the subject of rumors the track would close. While just that–rumors–they fed off the fact that the track operates on property belonging to someone else. In this case the party is Township of Bensalem.
    Although, as a township department head, I’ve known for some time the township in all likelihood would need the BMX site for other purposes, it was officially confirmed during the Dec. 11, 2006 Township Meeting, wherein the mayor’s budget was presented to and approved by Council. This budget provides for several major capital projects including construction of an Emergency Services Training Facility to be located on the current BMX site. The mayor specifically commented that the BMX track would be closed.
    As you may have heard me announce, or read in the newspaper, the PA Turnpike is constructing a slip ramp directly to and from Street Road that will also impact the overall footprint where the track is located.
    While it is bad news that the track will be closed, there is a silver lining in the cloud. The township has agreed to give Bensalem BMX a final year of operation in 2007. We should be able to run most, if not all, of a traditional season before the bulldozers arrive to begin site preparation. The township estimates demolition of the track would not begin until late in the year.
    The decision to condemn the site is permanent and will not change. Unfortunately, since there has not recently been a critical mass of Bensalem residents (currently less than 10 with some of those inactive) the opportunity for me to have made a cogent case to relocate the track elsewhere in town was impossible. The problem is compounded by the fact Bensalem has very limited open land under municipal control. In fact, had there been other land readily available, it may not have been necessary for the township to access the BMX site for constructing the EMS facility.
    Bensalem BMX has enjoyed a rich 25-year history with several ABA National and Redline events to its credit. Some seasons have been better than others, and to be sure the past two or three years have not exactly been stellar in comparison to seasons that came before.
    Regardless, let’s make 2007â€â€Â￾the track’s final season–a memorable and fun year, one we can go our separate ways remembering fondly. As we lead up to what will be the final races in October or November, let’s reach out to our alumni and try to get them to return for a homecoming weekend.
    It will be sad to say goodbye to the “beast of the east,” but let’s send him (or her) out in style. I expect to have the 2007 schedule out in February, so be on the lookout for it here on our site.
    On a personal note, I came to Bensalem BMX with my son in 1986. My son is long gone from the sport. I never left. BMX racing is a fine program for kids, and I am proud to have been part of it for 20 years. Hopefully I’ve made a positive contribution to the lives of the many families and young people that have passed through our gates. I will miss it.
    Thank you volunteers for your support through the years, and to everyone in advance for joining us during this Bensalem BMX’s final season.
    My best to you and your families during the upcoming holidays. May your Christmas be merry, your Hanukah happy and your New Year one of health and prosperity.
    Sincerely,
    Dave Fiedler – Track Operator – Bensalem BMX
    Manager, Community Affairs – Bensalem Township

miken1973

Dave I am 32 and first raced there when I was 14 or 15. The last year it was NBL. You and a gentle men who I can only remember his first name Herb! did a good job. I have found memories when the track first went aba. The nbl didnt have doubles on there tracks because of accident at central jersey. IT was very exciting time and some great racing. the old hill rocked.

miken1973

PS I still have the booklet from the NBL PA state championship (88 or 89) seris for that year. some tracks in that book that are long gone. Phonexville, north park to name a few.

phantom

Cassidy will be sad to hear the news when I tell her.Cassidy and I have made many friends through bensalem.I hope everyone can stay in touch somehow after the closing.I hope this doesnt stop the kids from riding on after bensalem closes they are a great group of kids.I think any track would be proud to have them race at there track.Cassidy and I will be there as much as possible in 2007.Longlive the beast of the east.

bmxmom156

dave has always welcomed the nbl riders from nj and made them feel at home. i remember when i brought about 4-5 riders from our state team there a few yrs back although he was happy about the temp memberships all of them converted to full and raced the redline cup race as well as the first “clash of the titans” race later on with the flemington track. they were fun times and we all appreciate all the work dave put in esp making our riders feel at home away from home… if it wasnt for him we would have never raced aba.

bmiddaugh

This should be a wake up call to everyone in this area.
    This was the closest track to my good friend Charlie Huber, I’m sorry to hear it’s closing.

bmxmom156

hey i think charlie did dannys first set of wheels!! omg i havent thought of that in a long time. he was so nice and would never say no when you asked him for help with something…

kevh

miken1973 – Does the name Kevin Hoffman ring a bell? I was racing Bensalem back then, I am a couple months younger

We will make this year something to remember at Bensalem, since we don’t have to worry about next year and the future, we are pulling out all the stops this year. If anything, we will use to closing to get more word out regarding BMX. 1 TV station is already looking to run something about it.

Phantom – Don’t worry, I am coming over to the NBL after all this, so we can keep in touch. Of course, I won’t be competitive at all since I can’t race 3 motos.

phantom

Kevin I will let Cassiddy know you will be racing nbl hopefully all the Bensalem kids will give ir a try.

bmiddaugh

now you know why I do what I do without asking.

Charlie, when you got to know him would also never take any sh*t from anyone.

And the guy could build some killer wheels…

bmxmom156

he was the only one who would touch the 1 1/8 velocitys…no bike shop in the area would string them except him..haha

miken1973

@kevh wrote:

miken1973 – Does the name Kevin Hoffman ring a bell? I was racing Bensalem back then, I am a couple months younger

We will make this year something to remember at Bensalem, since we don’t have to worry about next year and the future, we are pulling out all the stops this year. If anything, we will use to closing to get more word out regarding BMX. 1 TV station is already looking to run something about it.

Phantom – Don’t worry, I am coming over to the NBL after all this, so we can keep in touch. Of course, I won’t be competitive at all since I can’t race 3 motos.

did your dad race cruiser as well? name rings a bell.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.