Homepage Forums NJ BMX Racing NJ Racing old ABA leading the way in promoting BMX racing.

• This topic has 17 voices and 65 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 107 total)
  • Author
    tuffneck

i would run both aba and nbl and wouldnt have to leave the state

Caveman

This is a subject that I’ve been thinking about a LOT this year. If you’ve raced both sanctions there is no question when it comes to organization, competence and professionalism the ABA is miles ahead of the NBL. But when it comes to having a vision for the growth of BMX both sanctions are the same. Abysmal.

Neither sanction advertises to world outside BMX that I know of. Neither is actively trying to bring new people in. They simply rely on word of mouth and people stumbling across BMX tracks to keep BMX going.

They both advertise in Colin Stiles’ Transit Videos. Wow, advertising BMX to BMXers! Brilliant! They’re not trying to bring new riders in, they’re just competing with each other for market share. Then the ABA advertises in BMX Plus magazine with an ad that basically insults their readers. Then they have another ad that says, “tired of the same old stick and ball sports?” That’s obviously a dig at baseball only once again it’s in a BMX magazine. Do you think they reached any baseball players with that one? I could go on for hours but I’ll stop now.

The NBL’s bring a buddy campaign is a step in the right direction and we’ll see what will come of the ABA’s decision to hire Brad Fanshaw as their marketer. Hopefully he has some vision.

Caveman

This is a subject that I’ve been thinking about a LOT this year. If you’ve raced both sanctions there is no question when it comes to organization, competence and professionalism the ABA is miles ahead of the NBL. But when it comes to having a vision for the growth of BMX both sanctions are the same. Abysmal.

Neither sanction advertises to world outside BMX that I know of. Neither is actively trying to bring new people in. They simply rely on word of mouth and people stumbling across BMX tracks to keep BMX going.

They both advertise in Colin Stiles’ Transit Videos. Wow, advertising BMX to BMXers! Brilliant! They’re not trying to bring new riders in, they’re just competing with each other for market share. Then the ABA advertises in BMX Plus magazine with an ad that basically insults their readers. Then they have another ad that says, “tired of the same old stick and ball sports?” That’s obviously a dig at baseball only once again it’s in a BMX magazine. Do you think they reached any baseball players with that one? I could go on for hours but I’ll stop now.

The NBL’s bring a buddy campaign is a step in the right direction and we’ll see what will come of the ABA’s decision to hire Brad Fanshaw as their marketer. Hopefully he has some vision.

Caveman

bmiddaugh

Both sanctions feel as though it is up to the local program to bring in new riders, their only responsibility is to run nationals and their particular sanction.
    I do not understand this.

bmiddaugh

Both sanctions feel as though it is up to the local program to bring in new riders, their only responsibility is to run nationals and their particular sanction.
    I do not understand this.

kevh

It doesn’t make sense, if they build up the foundation (local program) it will bring up the nationals, and hence thier pockets.

The ABA brings in the outside advertising, like GameStop, which promotes sitting indoors all day playing video games. That doesn’t make sense either.

Bring a Buddy sounds good, ABA had a similiar program a year or so ago. It didn’t do much.

kevh

It doesn’t make sense, if they build up the foundation (local program) it will bring up the nationals, and hence thier pockets.

The ABA brings in the outside advertising, like GameStop, which promotes sitting indoors all day playing video games. That doesn’t make sense either.

Bring a Buddy sounds good, ABA had a similiar program a year or so ago. It didn’t do much.

bmiddaugh

Exactly…
    promote through vid games…duhhhh…
    Bring a buddy?
    Don’t you think the kid is already trying to get his friends to race?
    ai yai yai…

bmiddaugh

Exactly…
    promote through vid games…duhhhh…
    Bring a buddy?
    Don’t you think the kid is already trying to get his friends to race?
    ai yai yai…

CrazyCraig

@kevh wrote:

Well, it makes more sense than you realize. I have seen alot of racers playing with their Gameboys, etc. in between races. Alot of them buy the BMX & Skateboard games, etc., so its not a bad tie in. Most of our riders are kids (at all ages! 😀 ), so GameStop is pretty smart to know this is where some of their customers are hanging out.

But, A LOT more outside-the-box thinking is needed. Someone find Brad Fanshaw’s email address and drop him a line and hopefully he’ll “get it”. Y’know, I think I’ll go do that right now!

CrazyCraig

@kevh wrote:

Well, it makes more sense than you realize. I have seen alot of racers playing with their Gameboys, etc. in between races. Alot of them buy the BMX & Skateboard games, etc., so its not a bad tie in. Most of our riders are kids (at all ages! 😀 ), so GameStop is pretty smart to know this is where some of their customers are hanging out.

But, A LOT more outside-the-box thinking is needed. Someone find Brad Fanshaw’s email address and drop him a line and hopefully he’ll “get it”. Y’know, I think I’ll go do that right now!

bmiddaugh

Excellent counter point.

Someone find Brad Fanshaw’s email address

Oh please, like someone from the aba would actually take notice of some person from some rinky dink website…

hmmmm, ohh, wait a sec…they already did….

bmiddaugh

Excellent counter point.

Someone find Brad Fanshaw’s email address

Oh please, like someone from the aba would actually take notice of some person from some rinky dink website…

hmmmm, ohh, wait a sec…they already did….

miken1973

when it comes to the sanctions tracks are like a hot drunk chick in a bar they will tell what ever you want to hear to get you home with them. But the next day after the deed is done the story changes. I havent been around much in the last few years but in the 15+ years I did race that was the story with bolth sanctions. A lot of tracks went aba or nbl and they didnt get the sopport they needed. NJ is probably prime pickens for the ABA to come in and jump start bmx in this state or take over. Ridership and moto counts are WAY down. A huge part of the kore families that did NJ bmx good are no longer around because people moved on or grew up. I am not down playing the scene now and those who sopport it because there always be a solid local core who do a great job but its just different and a whole lot smaller. Maybe its just my time has passed and its not the same. Hats off to those still around or came back. I always said the national/reginion programs are what killed the NBL. after 1990 ABA just died out a bit in NY/NJ area. I always liked the gold cup championship and how it was more local oriented. when I first started i couldnt go to nationals because i was beginner or novice some form of eliteness or higher level of compitition needs to return. I the argument becomes what about my kid or it should be for everyone and yes it should but thats what locals programs should be for. Dont listen to Bob or Clayton they could more but its a buisness and as long as there getting paid they dont want to change the recipe.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 107 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.