Homepage Forums NJ BMX Racing NJ Racing old 26" cruisers

• This topic has 5 voices and 7 replies.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

I am putting together a Specialized P1 for cruiser class (35-39, I know, prepared to be whooped, but its all fun!). If you don’t know, that is basically a single speed mountain bike. Its an ebay special, so I got some work to do!
    Anyway, I know some of you are running 26inch bikes, what kind of setups do you all have? Gears? (mine came with a 38-16 which is way low (hard to pedal), Deraulliers? (Do you actually shift in a race? I have a cassette and deraullier I could easily put on) etc.
    I’m not the only one doing this, so maybe we could get a dialog going.

Loren

RaidenHayden

Loren, alot of guys are using those, I don’t know the ratio, but if you get a gear chart for a 20, set your gearing so it is the same or a little toughter thatn a 44/16. I’ll ask the guys in the backyard what they have

Caveman

Rich Carolan is a proponent of the 26″ wheel. Ask him. Or use this formula: (Chainwheel / freewheel) * (PI * wheel diameter) That’ll tell you how far your bike will travel for one crank revolution. For example a 44/16 on a 20″ = (44/16) * (3.1416* 20) = 172.78 inches (14’5″) for one crank revolution. Looks like a 38/18 on a 26″ is close.

bmxlegend

dave kapigian= NERD

CrazyCraig

Dans Comp has gear charts – but not sure if for 26″

CrazyCraig

Loren said when he heard I was getting a 20″ he had to get a cruiser. 😀

Caveman

Ham = looking to get his ass kicked for starting a thread about Flemington’s opening day and then being the only guy not to show up.

(Ham*beer) + announcing = I don’t know what it equals but I’d sure like to see it.

Craig, you gonna run double duty? I got an 18t rear today. You would be surprised at the bike shops who don’t understand the concept of a single speed mountain bike! Anyway, assuming the chain fits and I don’t need a half link I should have it up and running this Saturday. Which means it will definitely rain!!!

RaidenHayden

LOren, alot of the guys have em here. Single speed is big. The backyard emptied out about an hour ago, mostly Mtn Bikes

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.