• This topic has 7 voices and 5 replies.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

My current race bike is a ’97 Diamondback Reactor Team. I have seen a few articles on the ‘net recently concerning the lifespan of aluminum frames. Would you be concerned about racing a frame this old? I don’t really have the cash for a new frame, but I would prefer not to break one either!

If I get a new one, I am thinking Staats chromoly, Standard 125r, or Supercross chromoly…any opinions? I figure I can use all the parts from the DB.
    Thanks. Loren

Macdaddy

either the standard or the staats are very good bets. I would stay away from the supercross. Everyone I have spoken to has had problems either with the frame or the company or both.

DigetyelaD

aluminum does have a shelf life but if your not jumping i wouldnt be to worried.i did ride a cromoly supercross for a year i liked it very much.it was heat treated i believe this makes a chromoly frame alot stiffer not as stiff as aluminum, but pretty stiff. frank k has one now and he likes his and were both big boys 240+ i ride my aluminum frame now. but icould ride the crome one all the same.if your set on chrome look for a heat treated one just my opnion.

kevh

I would worry about the aluminum if you jump or fall hard like me. LOL

I love my supercross cruiser (no problems with parts or company). Heat treated is strong and light, I don’t notice any flex and I am 260+.

I know people that have Standard and Staats, never hear complaints. Personally I think Staats frames are long in the read so I wouldn’t get one, but again that is my personal preference.

4130forlife

aluminum sucks.. its good for beer cans, that is all

4130 for LIFE

RaidenHayden

Loren if it hasn’t been beaten, not a problem, as fas as stiff, that cro-mo Devo I ride, is as stiff or stiffer than some alum frames. At the quaker state nats, a vendor had a Hyper there, and I coudl get the back drop outs to move alot , can’t do that with the Devo

Sullivan

love my 125R

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.