Homepage Forums Grassroots BMX Ideas, Innovations Rookies returning again for the 06 series.

• This topic has 14 voices and 94 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 97 total)
  • Author
    LeadSled1

Here are some interesting items.

These are the NATIONAL finishes of Rookies in 2005 who are again racing Rookie on the NATIONAL level for 2006. I did only the top 12.

6 Rookie
    5th
    6th
    11th
    7 Rookie
    10th
    8 Rookie
    5th
    6th
    7th
    8th
    9th
    10th
    11th
    12th
    9 Rookie
    6th
    10 Rookie
    7th
    8th
    9th
    10th
    12th
    11 Rookie
    6th
    7th
    10th
    12th
    12 Rookie
    6th
    9th
    11th
    12th
    13 Rookie
    4th
    14 Rookie
    2nd
    7th
    8th
    15 Rooke
    10th
    12th
    16 Rookie
    3rd
    5th
    8th
    9th
    10th
    11th
    17+ Rookie
    5th
    6th
    7th
    8th
    11th
    12th

I started to see some patterns when researching some names. Some kids would not go to the Grands if they did not have perfects so they would finish lower than 12th nationally. I was not picking them up in the above list

I decided to do things in reverse. I looked at the Rookie classes for this year (2006) and looked up the top ten in each class that had also raced nationally last year and received a ranking. These are their current standings in the points. I only did the top 10:

6 Rookie
    7 Rookie
    8 Rookie
    9 Rookie
    10 Rookie
    11 Rookie
    12 Rookie
    13 Rookie
    14 Rookie
    15 Rookie
    16 Rookie
    17 + Rookie

If you end up combining the two lists together there are a lot of Rookies racing nationals year after year. I still have to work on a combined one.

CrazyCraig

with or without clips? 😆 😆 😆

s4lnj

profesional rookies !!!!!!!!!!

really– why bother– is it just me?– but i would take an 8th in an expert main over a first in rookie any day of the week–

CrazyCraig

Don’t ya know? Every one wants to say they were top 10 IN THE COUNTRY! (year in, year out). Parents will tell ya its because little Johnny still needs to work on some stuff – they don’t want to see them get hammered by those “big” novice or experts. Little Johnny just needs more time. After 5 years he might be ready. C-mon – rookie is just a name – no shame in staying there your entire racing career, is there? I don’t think Little Johnny can handle the big boys.

Or, and I love this one, my kid just races for fun (and goes to 5-6 nationals a year).

Y’all know I’m kidding, right?

Parents and/or older rookies: Have you ever seen a 2nd or 3rd year player get “Rookie of the Year” in professional sports???

I think this has been beat to death pretty good on this site, but I’ll say it again: ROOKIE = Rider with basic skills on flat pedals for no more than one year or a certain number of races.

Yes, I did toy with the idea of returning as a 17yr+ rookie, but that got knocked out of me quick. But, if you saw my two falls in three races, you may think I’m not too off base, but that is another story.

But, so no parents rip me here (and I am a parent, too), I know there may be some kids out there who may never HONESTLY progress pass the rookie stage for many different reasons. I won’t elaborate, but I want you to know ALL kids are welcome in our sport and we will make every attempt to safely accommodate them all.

That said: if you are a professional rookie: STEP IT UP!!

OLD SCHOOL ABA: 5 First place finishes in Novice between your birthdays = EXPERT. Beginner was a temporary class with NO POINTS or rankings!!!

I understand tracks are more skill oriented now then in the past, so I see why the rookie class has evolved somewhat. But if you are riding Nationals with clips as a rookie and making mains, c’mon, give me a break.

bmxlegend

ok.. here it is.. if we “the bmx”nation.. do not ban clips.. i will officially retire from bmx racing as of after the nbl grands of 06.. i cannot stand this crap any more.. bmx is so gay now..ive had it.. it costs way to much to race nationals.. way to much for a membership.. im done..bmx is so dumb now.. clip pedals.. carbon fiber this, carbon fiber that.. i hate it..im done with racing.. now.. i just ride for ME

BIGANT-DOG

Dave, i agree with some of the stuff you are saying. Ain’t a damn thing wrong with cr-mo forks or flats!!!!!!!!! To me it seems like companies cashing in on “a good thing.” namely bmx. Some of you might think of me as A “big loud mouth who has done nothing in the sport” But i have been riding trails did the freestyle thing etc for 20 YEARS! Now back to topic. It has gotten out of hand 6 year old kids in clips with carbon forks. Ham iain’t gonna quit,(I have some thing to prove) But bmx needs to RETURN TO IT’S ROOTS! Yeah alot of the new school tech, can be used, but we need to return to the basic fundementals of the sport. HAVING FUN. And if you are a “pro rookie” you should be ashamed

bmxlegend

go for it ant dog..im just fed up… i cant afford to race bmx and live my life.. racing is gay now.. im just done with it.. ive tried for a few years to get a grip on how it is now.. and i just cant.. trail riding/street riding is free..and.. if its free.. its for me….screa the clips and the carbon fiber crap..22 years is lobg enough to be a bmx racer.. but ill be BMX FOR LIFE

CrazyCraig

Awww Ham – ya can’t hang it up – don’t ya want to race me??? 😉

The Ham-inator will be bok 8)

LeadSled1

This is taking it a little further. Looking at Craigs comment, you aren’t even close on the number of nationals these kids are going to. Here is the place the returning Rookie is sitting and the number of nationals they have hit so far this year. Remember, we are only half way through the year.

6 Rookie
    2 9
    5 6
    6 7
    8 7
    9 4

7 Rookie
    5 9

8 Rookie
    1 12
    3 13
    6 7
    8 7

9 Rookie
    3 12
    4 8
    6 9

10 Rookie
    1 10
    2 11
    5 10
    7 7
    9 10

11 Rookie
    5 6
    6 6
    9 8

12 Rookie
    6 6
    7 7

13 Rookie
    2 6
    7 8
    9 4

14 Rookie
    1 7
    5 7

15 Rookie
    3 14
    7 5

16 Rookie
    2 8
    6 5
    9 6

17 + Rookie
    1 22
    3 11
    5 5
    10 9

Highest number of nationals per age group.
    Place, number of nationals

5 & under Rookie
    8th 16 nationals

6Rookie
    1st 17 nationals

7 Rookie
    1st 14 nationals

8 Rookie
    3rd 13 nationals

9 Rookie
    3rd 12 nationals

10 Rookie
    4th 16 nationals

11 Rookie
    1st 13 nationals

12 Rookie
    2nd 12 nationals

13 Rookie
    7th 8 nationals

14 Rookie
    8th 10 nationals

15 Rookie
    3rd 14 nationals

16 Rookie
    3rd 10 nationals

17+ Rookie
    1st 22 nationals

Things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm………….

22 nationals in already is the record for the 17 Rookie who also placed 6th nationally last year in 16 Rookie. 🙄

s4lnj

so what does mr. best 17+ rookie do after this season? retire while at the top of his game?

Caveman

One of the many reasons I’m glad I grew up ABA. There is no incentive to stay down a class. I wanted to work my way up to expert more than anything. I moved up to intermediate within my first 9 races and then struggled to turn expert but I did it.

Dale, who was that guy you used to race named Barry Sliefert or something like that? He was a career novice wasn’t he? Winning all the races he could and then sandbagging when he got close to turning ex. What a loser.

I’d like to think BMX appeals to people that want to challenge themselves and see how far they can push themselves. Not for people that want an easy win to feel better about themselves.

22 national finishes for a 17 rookie. Can you say loser?

bmxlegend

dave, that was barry slifer.. hahahhahahahaha i remember that clown..shit i havent seen him in years

CrazyCraig

any chance we can turn Jersey back into an ABA state?? Or is everyone gonna throw rocks at me for even suggesting that??

I would love to here the NBL’s response to why is one of last years top ranked 16 rookies being allowed to race as a 17 rookie – and is now #1???

bmxlegend

because bmx racing sucks now…

id like to have a track up where i live.. nbl, aba.. i couldnt care less..

id even like to try to run one

but.. it will never happen..you cant build a bmx track in north jersey.. to many warehouses and crap..

LeadSled1

Brad Slifer (NBL #128282) , I remember him. I raced him my first year and he got state #1 and I got #2 in DE for Novice. I moved up, he stayed. His younger brother was Barry (NBL #131478). Sounds like he was just like his older brother.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 97 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.