Homepage Forums NJ BMX Racing Trails The Crater

• This topic has 5 voices and 16 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    CrazyCraig

Let’s see how many old school BMXers from Morris County are on this site –

Who remembers the Crater on the Whippany / Parsippany border off Bee Meadow Parkway?

I was introduced to the Crater when I had my first Goose before I even started racing. This place was a thing of beauty!

It was a large natural (as far as we knew) bowl on top of a hill. It was monstrous. The coolest part was the hi-low hump halfway across on the left side that went all the way up the side of the bowl as you headed towards the launch spots. Coming back across we’d hit this and threw some major Leary’s (with the back tire higher than the front – almost like being on a pipe except you cam down the other side) and also some sick flat table-tops! The Crater was about 50 feet across, maybe more, with lots of different spots and routes. It was cool.

The locals there in ’81 used to lauch out of the one side with sick air, style and distance, not unlike what you see guys throwing today. One of the local legends was this guy named Phil on a PK. He could fly……until he hit that tree…..dang…..that sucked. He lived. He can still walk. Dang. It wasn’t pretty. 😯

I remember showing Wogs and the whole Morris Township crew the site – they’ll tell ya it was worth the ride. The Crater claimed my first Tri-moly ‘Goose during my first winter and races at the Armory. Never jump a Tri-moly Goose on a cold day. They will crack.

So, besides Wogs (who I do look forward to posting some memories on this topic) is there any one else out there who rode The Crater and is it still there?

Its only about 5 miles from my house, so I hope it is, I gotta take a ride over sometime soon.

dunrite9

Craig

Last time I was there,8 years ago, dirt bikes and time have ruined it. A lot of roots and rocks.
    Their were no lips on any of the jumps out. But still worth the trip back to see what’s left.
    the Madison trails still looked good back then, jumps were added, I will hit these
    when the 24 is done.

Craig
    Have you seen the outdoor skate park in Chatham, by the police station, might be just for boards & inline,

CrazyCraig

Thats a shame – still, I’m gonna take a ride up there.

Lets go hit those Madison trails!

xracer264

I work pretty close to there in Parsippany on Route 10. i have to check it out one day… cool

CrazyCraig

Xracer –

I work out out of my house some days – in Paramus others. If you’re gonna ride over there, give me a call. My numbers are in my biz site (look in links for members business sites)

CrazyCraig

Wog – I have not seen the skate park in Chatham yet. Where is the police station? – Are you talking Chatham Borough or Township?

dunrite9

Craig

By the Hickory Tree Mall, on Southern Blvd across from Fairmount golf coarse.

bmiddaugh

About that skatepark..
    http://www.chatham-nj.org/coin/SkatePark/activities.htm
    Looks like you guys have some work cut out for ya…

Hmmm, I was just rolling this around in my head and it sounds like the beginning to a bad joke..

“2 businessmen in suit and tie walk into the town council with a video and BMX bikes and say “Excuse me gentleman we notice you have a “skate” only ramp park, we would like to impose upon you, if we may, to open it up for bikes to radical on”

dunrite9

Craig
    when you see this place, it looks like its built at 1/2 scale. no big air there
    would be fun to do some old school stylin there.
    It’s a nice place for young kids to learn how to skate on ramps

CrazyCraig

according to the site – we is not welcome there.

FYI: My wife and I got to Yankee games alot – and right across the street from the parking garage near the stadium is a full bore ramp / street park with a nice quarter pipe and wooden jumps, etc. We should go hit THAT sometime.

bmiddaugh

Craig…that is the Famous
    Mullaly…..

dunrite9

Craig

We can go over the mountain from my house to the Rt. 57 Skate park in Hackettstown.

CrazyCraig

NOW WERE TALKING! I assume its open to bikes, right?

dunrite9

Yup
    I take Wes there so he can ride his skate board. bikes, boards & inline all at the same time. I don’t know if they will let us ride the 24s 😆

CrazyCraig

with the size of cruiser frames almost the same as 20’s – how they gonna tell the difference? 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.