Homepage Forums NJ BMX Racing Racing Veterans tennis elbow and racing advise

• This topic has 6 voices and 38 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    mroze1

Looking for some advise from the “veterans”.

I came out of racing retirement last year to race 35-39 cruiser, just a few races at the end of the season. I had a great time getting my butt kicked and decided to race this year. So I’m just beginning to build a new bike….hanging up the classic 1987 Robinson for good.

Anyway, all the yanking up on the bars of the old school bike seemed to contribute to a case of I’m guessing tennis elbow, definately some sort of tendonitis. It’s been bothering me since the old school race at HCBMX last fall.

So now I’m wondering ..should I build the new bike, or race? Or am I just asking for trouble. I am turning the big 4-0 this year, that doesn’t help. I’m wondering if the new bike will help, it’s almost impossible for me to lift the front of that old Robinson.

Any veterans out there experience this? What have you done to eliminate it or prevent it from reoccurring?

Thanks for your input,
    Ed

4130forlife

DO “NOT ” USE THOSE WHEELS. ANYMORE/ PEASE

s4lnj

ice the elbow– 10 min on and 20 off– when it is really sore–

they also sell “tennnis elbow bands” that fasten to your forearm about an inch or so below the elbow. this will slightly change the way your muscle pulls at the point where it meets the elbow.

ibuprofrin (sp?) is an anti inflamitory which willl help reduce pain and swelling. although i wouldn’t recomend it now, when i ran track in college, i had terrible shin splints, and i was on a 10 a day ibuprofrin diet to help keep swollen scar tissue on the shins to a minimum in order to keep training and competeing. but having some handy on race day wouldn’t be a bad idea.

simple exersices– the reason tennnis elbow occurs is due to new stress on the muscles where they meet the joint or bone. just like shin splints, many runners get them when they up thier mileage, and don’t get adequate recovery, forming scar tissue over top of scar tissue over top of scar tissue…….

tennis elbow is somewhat similar– strengthen your forearm muscles and this willl help.

sit with forearms on thighs– palms down– flex your wrists up towards you
    flip your arms over and flex your wrist towards you again working the opposite side of the forarm

hold a hamer at the end of the handle, arm down to your side naturally and flex the hammer up– working the front of the forearm

now switch so that the hammer head is behind you and flex it toward the back of your head

hope this helps– pm me with any questions. sometimes it’s hard to describe things on the net
    dave

mroze1

Thanks Dave for the great advice. My upper body is definately not in racing shape and I guess I did to much too soon. Once I get this healed I’ll have to restart more slowly and work on strengthening.
    So I doubt I’ll be racing the Jack Frost. Probably wait until April.

I’m going to continue with the new bike build, much to the relief of everyone out there who kept telling me not to ride the Robinson 24. I’ve been driven to the point where I’m paranoid about destroying it.

Have to hang it up with my 1980’s 20 incher. That includes a “Wedge” by Mr Stix frame which I picked up when riding with M&D Bike shop in Flemington.

Anyone know anything about that frame?

Ed

bmiddaugh

Dude…
    You are about to get bombarded with questions.

Wasn’t that Bubba Scruggs dad who made those?
    Mr. Styx, I think my friend Dan Notte was sponsored at one point by them.

mroze1

I think it was Dave Scruggs dad who made them. There were not that many made, maybe only 50. It has 3 small diameter top tubes in a “Wedge” shape vs one which makes it unique. I sold it in 1984 to someone. It wasn’t until last year that I got it back. My brother saw it someplace in my home town and knew it was mine and bought it back for me for some small price. It still had the decals I put on it back in the 80’s. The bike also includes SE landing gear forks, powerlite bars, and the rest was random spare parts I put on it back then. I remember talks of sponsorship back then but then the whole thing folded fairly quickly.

I remember racing Danny at Lawrenceville in the 80’s. If he had/has one it would be interesting to find if he remembers more about them.

Ed

bmiddaugh

No way! Your remember Dan?!
    Him, Gary Sherayko and Glen Mattioli were my crew from BITD, ‘course of I was the scrub, lol.
    Haven’t seen Dan in a looooong time though.
    That’s right the name was Dave Scruggs.
    Red and blue jerseys.

s4lnj

ed– no problem — if you have any more questions or need help in any other areas (besides jumping) let me know.

dave

4130forlife

sell me those hubs??

mroze1

Noooo!, I now have big plans now for the hubs. I’m going to polish them up and put them in a lighted glass case in my residence. I will allow, by invitation only, members to come by and see a very rare part of BMX history. 😀

How things have changed. Before I was just going to let several inches of dust collect on them in the garage.

Geez, the Mr Stix frame is much more interesting than an old pair of TNT Revolver hubs!

Ed Mroz

paulc

Ed,

That Mr Stix Wedge frame is worth a good penny. I know a guy on Vintage who was originally form NJ who has been searching for one for a very long time. Three of my friends rode those frame and forks. They used them for racing and freestyling. They all rode for Charlie’s BMX team out of PA. Charlie and the Mr Styx guy, assume it was Bill Scruggs, were friendly back in the day. I would love to see some pictures? Could you post some? I also remember doing a freestyle show in PA with Mr Styx and his two riders, a hot young girl and a dude that had “eggy” on his jesey and pants. Anybody know who they were?

Paul Carroll

mroze1

Hi Paul,

Finally, a true NJ BMX historian. When I mention to people I have a Mr Stix frame they usually just walk away thinking I picked it up at Walmart or something.

In an earlier post I mentioned that I reclaimed it after about 20 years. Well, back prior to selling it I had removed all the Mr Stix decals and just added one Spoke-N-Wheel bike shop sticker, a small NJ shop I rode for in the late 80’s. So, when I got it back I could NOT remember what kind of frame it was. Then I saw the stamp on the dropout which shows “STIX 00045” and I recalled Mr Stix, then I found one listed on Ebay or somewhere which had the decals and I remembered “Wedge”..then “Scruggs”, then Brent reminded me of the red and blue jerseys. My BMX memory was completely wiped out until last year! But now it’s all coming together.

I don’t remember any Mr Stix forks, maybe I just didn’t have one. Mine has an early thin dropout SE Landing Gear fork which I originally put on it. And I thought I did that because there were no matching fork.

Anyway, I’ll snap a few pictures and figure out how to post them. The only thing which piss@s me off is that I can not get the seatpost out of it, tried everything. I figure if I build it back up and ride it w/o a clamp it will
    loosen on it’s own. But I am waaay to big for that bike. Only one frame size back then.

Ed

paulc

Ed,

I am pretty sure he made forks as well. I remember the decal being a stick figure going down each fork leg and saying Mr. Stix horizontally at the bottom of each leg. Anyone else remember this? Can’t wait to see your pics. Here is pic of a race at CJBMX that I copied form Vintage. I think #10 is my friend Joe Baldwin riding his Mr Stix Wedge frame and fork. Next to him I beleive is Larry Fate riding for Guys Bicycles out of PA.

Edited to add picture

Paul

BIGANT-DOG

Finally, a true NJ BMX historian

Gee was that an insult. LOL

BIGANT-DOG

Btw i have a 90 robinson that still gets ridden. Do not be afraid of breaking it. It is a usa made made frame. I plan on racing mine this year.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.