Homepage Forums NJ BMX Racing NJ Racing old pro/am open -why race class?

• This topic has 11 voices and 25 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    bmxmom156

can anyone explain why the nbl rule says you have to race class to race open( non pros)?

i always wondered about this and brett brought it up on another site…it just reminded me

that if you dont pre register… its $20/class then same for open so it will cost $40 to race both for a state race…. seems like the older riders arent that concerned with points for class so they usually dont “race” hard so its like a donation to the track in actuality….

does anyone know the reason behind this besides $$.. i assume if you have an nbl license you are covered insurance wise so whats the point?

BIGANT-DOG

Deb I raced a 30 and over open at shoreham bmx and did not have to race class.

It has something to do with getting riders qualified for the president’s cup. I may be wrong. so do not quote me. Part of the problem is low moto counts. the open and class are usually real close so you do not get a chance to catch your breath.

kevh

I think because the Pro/AM is not an official class, you are not covered by the insurance. You generally need to be registered for the day in order to be covered.

In regards to the ABA, since the Pro/Am is not a real class, those riders don’t have to be reported to the ABA on the race report, so the ABA would not get some money for those riders. Not sure how the NBL system works regarding this type of stuff.

BIGANT-DOG

It is kind of unfair to the am’s. The Pro’s are rested while the am’s have to bust thier butt’s to race class. Granted some can do both but what about those that can’t.

bmiddaugh

I’m sure a simple rule change could make this all work out, maybe make the pro-am class require a 5 dollar insurance fee.
    At the local level pro-am will keep older fast racers involved in the sport and BMX racing needs that in order to grow again.

4130forlife

then pick one or the other.. state number or cash to buy stuff with, cause you cant buy nothing with a state number

BIGANT-DOG

cause you cant buy nothing with a state number

Dave has made the statement of the day.

BIGANT-DOG

There are some guys who want to do both, but from what i heard some guys did not want to race the open because they had to race class. And a rule change would make it work, but will they changethe rule is the question.

RaidenHayden

OK, here is where I break rank with my fellow racers. In the old days, we all raced open, why? Because the turnouts were good, and it kept our legs warm. Todays turnouts aren’t as good, but it is still an OPEN, but with the benenfit of cash as opposed to a trophy, which as stated is like a number and you can’t buy anything with. I don’t think changing the rule would help the overall rider count

phantom

Why dont we just sign a waiver for the open/ race at your own risk so the track and sanction wont be liable.This would get the blood flowing to race opens and the turn out much higher.Then again cant have your cake and eat it too.The open payout i bet would get larger.

RaidenHayden

I think that growing the local scene so that the open is like the opens of the old days with time to rest, and the benifit of cash is the way. By saying they don’t hve to race class would almost have the same effect as paid practice. People come there and don’t race local events. I know they wold be racing, but I don’t se the advantage of it, as it would almost eliminte the older expert class, and if the intent is to put a field together for the Pres cup, you have defeated the purpose

Sullivan

I think that growing the local scene so that the open is like the opens of the old days with time to rest, and the benifit of cash is the way. By saying they don’t hve to race class would almost have the same effect as paid practice. People come there and don’t race local events. I know they wold be racing, but I don’t se the advantage of it, as it would almost eliminte the older expert class, and if the intent is to put a field together for the Pres cup, you have defeated the purpose

amen… if you dont feel like racing or having to sign up for class quit your bitchin and just turn “pro”

bmiddaugh

Look, if we’re just gonna debate this like sensible human beings then there just isn’t any point, LOL.

I think the problem lies in having to pay the extra 20 bucks. Maybe it needs to be rethought, or maybe more guys just need to go pro..
    or super ex
    or super elaso
    or whatever the F the nbl calls it.

Sullivan

people signing up for both class and open should get a break. they should not have to pay $20 for each, they should get at least a $5 discount.

4130forlife

i still dont see why it cost 20bux for points?? we get NOTHING, just points, not even a little nameplate which says what place you got.. but i see no reason for 20 bux.. ill pay it cause i refuse to pay 50$ for a national, and i want to race, but ill bitch the entire way

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.