Homepage Forums NJ BMX Racing NJ Racing old trouble jumping dubs

• This topic has 3 voices and 1 reply.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    s4lnj

nothing new as some of you know– caveman can tell you i couldn’t jump since i made my triumphent return to racing 4 years ago–but here is what’s interesting–

last week at howell i tried the big dubin the first straight– to roll it i would have to slow down substatially– so i just went full throttle and held on– cased pretty hard– but was close— just shy of 50/50ing the landing– pretty damn good by my standarts— large confidence boost for me–

so i go to egg harbor this morning for some practice, with my new found confidence i declare to my buddy that there’s nothing on the track i can’t clear now– wrong– in fact i cased everything on the track–

but the thing is…. no matter what the gap—15 eet or 25 feet, what kind of jump–dub or step up, i case them all the same way– 50/50 or just shy….

do i have some sort of wierd mental block or something that does not allow me to clear dubs?– could i be spotting my landing instead of looking forward down the track?

some guys can go to any track in the nation and have great style, and pull totally flat 8 foot table tops off curbs–
    but i got something they don’t— i case jumps like nobody’s business!!!!!

gotta roll
    dave

Caveman

It’s true. He can’t jump doubles. Ha! But that is ballsy that you tried the big ones at Howell on a day like that! With the rain and the look of that backside, I figured I’d wait till another day.

I don’t know how to explain boosting a set of doubles because you can’t really teach it. When you’re relaxed you’re body will be positioned right and you can use the lip to the max advantage and just boost it. If you’re tense, you just can’t get that boost off the lip you need. You’ll skim one foot above the jump in a dead sailor and come up short. But you can’t force yourself to be relaxed. (kind of an oxymoron isn’t it? Relax Damnit!) It just comes over time. You just have to do it alot to get comfortable with it.

CWCCRIDER

@s4lnj wrote:

do i have some sort of wierd mental block or something that does not allow me to clear dubs?– could i be spotting my landing instead of looking forward down the track?

gotta roll
    dave

That’s funny I never feel comfortable jumping doubles but I thought the problem was looking to far down the track and not spotting the landing???

Like the caveman said if your tense your going to dead sailor (and I have met a lot of dead sailors in my time!!! )

I never was a good jumper and I never had to be just racing local races but it seems times are changing!!!
    I guess its time to build some jumps in the yard and just hit it !!!!!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.