Homepage Forums NJ BMX Racing Trails pratice trails in nyc highbridgepark

• This topic has 6 voices and 12 replies.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    robC

i found this on you tube

BIGANT-DOG

rob when you coming out to the track.

4130forlife

rob clarke is my hero

BIGANT-DOG

there is a liitle blurb on page 2 of the ny dailynews.

BIGANT-DOG

here is the link

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2007/05/15/2007-05-15_city_bike_parks_a_mound_of_fun-1.html

aww hell here

Manhattan is small, flat and crowded with cars and concrete – but it still has room for a new 3-mile mountain-biking trail.

“On the face of it, it sounds preposterous,” admitted city Parks Commissioner Adrian Benepe. “But we really do have it, and it takes advantage of the terrain that was always there.”

The Fort George Hill Trails wind through a hilly, remote section of Highbridge Park in Inwood where crooks once dumped stolen cars and parkgoers feared to tread.

“It’s probably the only mountain-bike course in the country you can get to by subway,” Benepe said.

The Parks Department offered to turn the area into a biking trail because it couldn’t do much else with the land – and because rogue bikers were tearing up other hilly northern Manhattan parks in pursuit of muddy, high-energy thrills.

After 18 months of work, a $100,000 state grant and lots of discussions with city lawyers to limit the liability risks, the trail officially opens Saturday – with areas for BMX jumpers, casual riders and hard-core experts.

“It’s pretty impressive for mountain biking in the middle of New York City,” said Jamie Bogner of the New York City Mountain Bike Association, which helped plan and build the paths. “We look for the longest way from point A to point B, with every technical obstacle we can find.”

His group will host a cross-country race on the trail Sunday.

The Parks Department is trying to develop another mountain-biking trail in Cunningham Park in Queens, and may try to put more on capped landfills in the Bronx’s Pelham Bay and Staten Island’s Fresh Kills.

Neighborhood kids zipping through the trails yesterday said they were glad to finally have a place to ride and jump.

“I love the ramps. You get amazing air on them. One jump, it’s almost vertical when you go up it,” said 13-year-old Jonathan Flores. “Before this, you’d have to ride on the street.”

robC

i went there it is pretty cool i had a good time there if your in the area check it out.

CrazyCraig

R-O-A-D T-R-I-P!!!

bmiddaugh

BMX is the future.

CrazyCraig

Too bad the XC race was this past weekend, that would have been cool to be there for it.

But here is another vid just for laughs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuzs1ipnOmg&NR=1

Doh! 😈

CWCCRIDER

@CrazyCraig wrote:

R-O-A-D T-R-I-P!!!

pick a date ❗ ❗ ➡

BIGANT-DOG

Hey i got room in the van for 3 people. and bikes. LMK what you bmxicans want to do.

CrazyCraig

Whiley – do you ever get a day off during the week that is not a honey-do day? If so, let me know, we’ll have to go over to these trails and ride. It will be a good reason to put my cruiser back together.

CWCCRIDER

Hopefully you’ll have a different reason to be putting a cruiser together SOON !!!!

That looks like cool place but week days are tough. It would be hard to Even get a weekend these days !!!

I want to do a NYC ride someday that sounds like fun

Lets get some boys together and pick a date and see what happens ???

CrazyCraig

I have been holding off on the cruiser waiting for the GHP. My goal is to race 40-44 at the Grands. If I can get it built by July, I should be in good shape. But, I would slap the Redline back together for a NYC trip for sure. But, I can hang on the 20 if needed. Just seems like the cruiser would be more appropriate.

Yeah, I guess we do need to pick a date and see what happens. See ya this weekend!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.