Homepage Forums NJ BMX Racing Old School Racing Old school, New school ?

• This topic has 15 voices and 49 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 51 total)
  • Author

Rich lol Im not some guy whos just coming back after being away for 20 years. I taught my last clinic here in SoCal i think in 2000 or 2001.
    Joey Licata is a freind of mine and Answer sponsored my last team and I’m sure Ill work with him again.

But the Carbon forks for Pros is not what everyone thinks. For lil kids they are awesome. Anyone think different, dont take my word. get to know some Pros and find out how long they go before switching out their Carbon forks.
    Find out if they love them so much they pay for them because they think the Pro sized riders Carbon forks are worth their money and make a difference worth paying for.

In all my clinics during the 90s I told kids not to buy the over priced, Pro Forx. That they were a gimmick and none of the Pros would use them if they weren’t being paid. As soon as the Pros stoppped getting paid to use them Pro Forx went by bye.

RFarside

@ErickWeinstetter wrote:

Rich lol Im not some guy whos just coming back after being away for 20 years. I taught my last clinic here in SoCal i think in 2000 or 2001.

I don’t know how to take that. I think that was a low blow. ❓

Anyway I change my forks every year like most of the other guys. And I do think they make a difference in the way the bike rides.

bmiddaugh

I’m gonna have to disagree with Rich here and say only SOME old school bikes are nice to look at…others are fun to …laugh at.
    Just ’cause it’s old school doesn’t make it great. It’s weird, I lived through all that and have no desire to ride that stuff again.
    Maybe it’s the freestyle thing, ya gotta progress, no matter what ya do.

RaidenHayden

2nd the motion Brett

CWCCRIDER

Bamboo is here!! By By Carbon Fiber !!!

BIGANT-DOG

From someone who loves both.

I started racing on my robinson as you all know. I switched over to a porter. Ton of difference. lower profile stiffer etc. But I would not go so far as to use carbon forks. Cranks well i am a redline type of guy. But if you are out there racing on the level that rich is on,then you want to have the best euipment that there is. Now in my case,I am out there having fun. So for me it would be useless to spend that money on a set of forks.

But I will agree with rich for todays tracks new school tech. is where it is at. If you are a serious racer.

Rich absolutely not a low blow lol. I mean guys always think that since they dont know who I am, that Im some guy that used to race BITD and hasnt progressed with the sport and Ive been left behind. I’ve been in the sport the entire time, maybe a year off or two now and then.

Progression is in the eye of the beholder.
    I think BMX has regressed and the sport is in much worse shape then ever.
    When was the last time 2 or 3 new tracks opened in NJ?

I think Answer Scythe forks are a complete waste of money. But some have money to waste. If you gave me Scythe forks and Rich you had Astubulas, I bet you’d still beat me. No doubt in my mind.

Racers that waste their money are working on the wrong area. Training, riding, doing gates, racing are the best ways to get good. Im willing to bet some of the riders that make the USA Olympic team WONT be using Scythes.
    Again if I was rich Im sure Id run a set just cause they are so frigging cool. [/u]

BMXspectator

@ErickWeinstetter wrote:

Im willing to bet some of the riders that make the USA Olympic team WONT be using Scythes.

I will take that bet. Check this out Mr. oldschool. I think these guys have a good chance at making the Olympics and look what forks they use. And a lot of your top Amateurs run them to.

I think Farside said it best “it is 2006”

Afro Bob

DR

Stumpy

BIGANT-DOG

Personally you could them give a set of dk or brew forks, and they would still make it.

BIGANT-DOG

btw the average racer most likely can’t afford to replace “carbon forks” every year. And what happens when you “snap em” on that monster double” that you misjudged? And you can’t say it has not happened. I am not against progression, but the average racer is on a budget. When you see a 15 rookie on carbon forks at his first race,something is wrong, BTW BUBBA HARRIS uses stock redline forks.

I talked a kid out of getting carbon forks,It was his first race,told em learn to have fun first. And if he progressed then get em.

BMXspectator

@BIGANT-DOG wrote:

Personally you could them give a set of dk or brew forks, and they would still make it.

I agree with you on that.

BIGANT-DOG we are not talking about rookies or your average racer. There is no reason for them to have these forks. They should be working on there skills/training before they think of getting the high end parts. But for your top Amateurs and Pros well that’s a different story.

4130forlife

4130 for LIFE

that is all that needs to be said

bmiddaugh

cro mo or no show, lol.
    pros should be riding high tech shit. were’nt they the ones riding flight cranks first bitd?

LOL whoooa im so not Mr. Old School. The last BMX company I started was in 1997 and we only made AL frames with canti mounts.
    I was just trying to save a rider just returning from being away 20 years, from thinking that he had to get Carbon forks to compete. The advantage in my opinion of Carbon over say ChroMo forks is nothing like comparing say 1pc cranks and flights.

Im not saying you cant win on Carbons lol. In fact top Pro riders use them , most get them free is all Im pointing out. I’m sure carbon forks will be in the Olympics rofl. Im saying, Im also betting that not all riders will be on Carbon forks.

Thats it I’m entering the Over 40 Novice Cruiser, No Clip, Fat guys class Olympic team and prove that you dont need carbons to compete!

Man Scythes have to be the sexiest forks since Redline made Tubular forks.

RaidenHayden

A little update on carbon for all the nay sayers. Whe I got hit by the car a couple of weeks ago on my road bike, which is a carbon frame and fork, I was worried about it being damaged, so I took it to the shop. Well Chris, then says I have nothing to worry about, and pulls down a set of carbon forks from a road bike with an alum steerer, those forks had hit a sign post at 25mph, and all that was bent was the alum steerer!!!! The carbon is stronger than you think!!! Do I use it, NO, but if I was given a set YES

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.