Homepage Forums NJ Freestyle Old School Freestyle Mountain Dew

• This topic has 6 voices and 10 replies.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    BIGANT-DOG

ALl of us old guys can appreciate this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCIE8o1PGNk&search=mountain%20dew%20bmx

How many of you were inspired by this, I was

RaidenHayden

Sorry, it didn’t inspire me as much as George C. Scott at the beginning of Patton, but to each their own!!!!!! Way Tooooooo OLD SCHOOL

dunrite9

WOW!
    I remember that one 😳

bmiddaugh

I always wondered about those hop on the ground tailwhips, what a weak trick…

1adam12

Wow that was as lame as I remember……………Rock Walks????Give me a fucking break………..

CrazyCraig

C’mon guys – that commercial was made 20 years ago. At the time I’m sure most people thought it was pretty cool. Remember, they were making a soda commercial, not a BMX commercial.

So yeah, it was pretty lame, but so was the movie Rad. Still, if nothing else, it made you laugh, right?

This was pretty good exposure for BMX back then. With the Dew Action Tour, I would love to see the commercial they could come up with now if they truly put their minds to it.

BIGANT-DOG

craig is right, 20 years ago that was a big thing, but by todays standards it is considerd weak. yeah rock walks but 20 years ago that was the standard. besides look at how far we have come.

RaidenHayden

Craig, Ant, like they saying goes”you can dres an ugly girl up, she STILL is ugly” I agree with Adam

1adam12

20 years ago I was 14 and was doing much harder stuff than rockwalks…nostalga is cool and all………..and to be honest I have always been into BMX for purely selfish reasons………I could care less what is positive or not for BMX…..I am not a spokesperson for “THE POSITVE ASPECTS OF BMX”…………

1adam12

Sorry but 1986 had a lot more to offer than ROCKWALKS………….I remember tech three levers mounted vertically on my GT bars learning bar-rides,cherry pickers,miamihoppers,boomerangs…….etc etc……

RaidenHayden

Stuff like that and the movie RAD, did more to make the sport look bad, and give a misconception of what the sport or now sports, as the discipilines, have developed into their own, are really about

CrazyCraig

@RaidenHayden wrote:

Stuff like that and the movie RAD, did more to make the sport look bad, and give a misconception of what the sport or now sports, as the discipilines, have developed into their own, are really about

I am in total agreement there Bill. I remember seeing Rad at the Rockaway Mall Outer Cinema hoping to see something that would legitimize what we do, and almost wanted to yell out loud to the rest of the audience “this is not BMX!!!” (I did hear the riders really enjoyed coming down that monster starting hill! -((but where’s the gate??)).

But, I do own a copy of Rad (and BMX Bandits) – it does make for a really good laugh. I recently got Joe Kid on a Stingray to “balance” out the collection. Sorry, no hard core stuff besides that

Adam – it’s okay to be in BMX for selfish reasons and totally into your own thing if that is what makes you happy. Thats cool. I guess as a dad, and a fairly “mainstream” type at that, I try to always be the promoter of the positive aspects. Nothing wrong with that, right?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.