• This topic has 2 voices and 11 replies.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Kmart

Greetings from Kenny Martin. I was a Braddock Bomber and Armory guy from 82-85. I ran NY-2 (don’t hold that against me!). I was NY-2 #1 for awhile (84-85) and rode for JV, SMB and TNT. I had some epic battles with Gibby Graner BITD and took a Burger King crown on my helmet to a trophy dash victory.

Keep up the great work Brett
    Later
    Kmart

CrazyCraig

K-mart, I knew I knew ya but couldn’t place ya until ya said Gibby Graner. You two did go at it alot at Braddock. Any one see Gib lately?

Kmart

Funny, I was thinking the same thing….then you mentioned the rebel yell and it all came back!

No Gibby sightings, not sure what happened with him. Sounds like a job for Brett to find out!

How are things?
    Kmart

CrazyCraig

All good man. Looking to get back in action. Even with a few extra pounds, I find I can still style off some local jumps. I stayed out of this waaaaaaaay too long. I know Gib’s dad used to work for Rockaway Borough, but he’s long sinced retired, so no clue where he is, I guess will have to look online. Cant be too many Gib Graners out there.

What I wouldn’t give for a set of old moto sheets from Braddock, for 82 through 85, just to relive all the names. Bing! Another name just popped into my head: remember Joey Hufnagel? How about the Gnecco family? Ouch, more names coming in, I can’t stand it! 😯

Kmart

Joey H and Jimmy Gneeco used to go at it if memory serves…..Yea it would be cool to have those moto sheets….Gibby, Gneeco, The Kings, Pete W____muth, etc….Great times.

I did a couple races on a 24″ a few years ago and it was a blast, I still ride the practice track out here a few times a month with my BMX and jump bike. I have done some MTB races also, nothing like BMX but still a good time..

I hope to have some more pics up in the not too distant future.

Keep me posted on the comeback
    Later

CrazyCraig

Dang Kenny, you remember Wogs, huh? (Pete Woghlemuth). No bullsh*t, I’m the one who got him to his first race, we lived on opposite ends of Morris Township (by Morristown for the uninformed). He was not quite a full year younger than me, so you gotta remember how the sh*t hit the fan once me and him started bangin bars in 17x in ’85. I already had my hands full with Wewo (who I totally respect) so it made for some rough and tumble racing. I think we put a few gray hairs in James Cerullo’s head. Too bad me and Pete fell out, cause he was a good competitor.

You know what I think is cool? That Robbie Morales is still out there making happen with Fit. Its cool that he never left and kept getting better. Even though he was a New Yorker, he bears serious mentioning here. I know this is a NJ BMX site, but anyone who rode Braddock was and still a part of the this scene.

Where’s the practice track you’re riding? In Jersey? Don’t know where you’re hanging your hat these days.

Kmart

I do remember the you and Pete “throwing down” made for good local drama. That was one of the best parts of the Braddock days, rough and tough racing for all ages!! Wewo, totaly forgot about that dude….rode for Cliffside? or Clifton or something….You guys had a strong class.

I unfortunatly do not live in the Northeast anymore. I’m doing it up Midwest style these days. After school I took a job with Honda R+D out in Columbus Ohio. I’m a senior engineer and run the Suspension Handling Group and Driver Training. We had an indoor track a few years ago that made for good practicing/racing and we have a public practice track at one of the local parks (next to the skate park). It is a new style track that keep you busy….Columbus is also the home of the NBL Christmas Classic. I ran into Rob O’ down there years ago when he was still racing, great guy (still) I’m glad he has been able to make a living out of it. Yea, I’m proud of the fellow New Yorker……

CrazyCraig

Yeah, Pete & me had our moments, and I probably pulled a move or two that wasn’t cool. But, it made for good racing no matter how you look at it.

Kmart

Yea I bowed out in 85, after a back injury at Howell. One of my big regrets, I should have stayed with it but after getting hurt (for about the 100th time) I lost interest. And became interested in cars….Oh well that’s the way it goes! A lot og great memories though….

Do you have any updates of the guys you used to race with??

Kmart

CrazyCraig

PJTAFT (Broken Spokes Member) is a very good friend of mine who recently moved to Florida. He was a big part of The Wrecking Crew, a team we started putting together back in 88 and ran hard with in 89. He has kept in touch with that crew and several others from Braddock those 2 years and updates me. Unfortunately I did not stay in touch very well with the Pre-85 crowd.

The neat thing is I have run into a few of the old crew on ebay of all places. Most notable is Donny & Austin Steele. They were NY’ers for a little while, but originally from the West Coast and are now back there again. They were only around for about a year or so, and Donny was tough in 17x and Austin was no fun in 17+ Cruiser (he was a little older). They hit Braddock and the Armory. Austin worked for GT for the longest time and is now with one of the motorcycle companies too.

Besides running into Mark Zalewski (also via ebay) who I chased in 17x in the NBL during ’89, I’m getting most of info and updates here. It will be interesting to see who pops up here.

CrazyCraig

It will be interesting to see who pops up here.[/quote]

Kmart, check out my “introduce y’self” posts. Look who popped up!

Kmart

Mark Z and I ran to gether for awhile and he was one of my better friends from BITD. I ran into him at the Christmas classic in 97 or 98 and have exchanged emails with him since…

Pete W in da house…Nice! You guys gonna stage a BMX throw down for Broken Spokes?

Pete how the heck are you?

Kmart

CrazyCraig

Okay Brett, little by little yer getting yer wish, the old gang poppin up here & there. I’m sure not everyone stayed in NJ, but hopefully this will keep going.

No Kmart, I don’t think there’ll be a throw down anytime soon, but don’t be surprised if you see Pete on a bike, though he said time is tight, and like me, he’s got some little ones.

Pete, make sure you post some pics. I am going to dig up the mother loaD soon and find all the old shots from ’83. I found the one of us at the ’83 East Coast Nats with you, John Keyes, me, Linea Hasegawa, and Sergei Hasegawa with that big a** trophy he won. I have some definte ’80’s hair in that one.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.