Homepage Forums NJ BMX Racing NJ Racing old I ain’t so bad after all.

• This topic has 6 voices and 8 replies.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    BIGANT-DOG

Going to work this morning i was thinking about ways i can improve my racing. Generally i was down on my self. But I thought self, this time six years ago you were supposed to be dead! Will not go into details, but at one point i was walking on a cane, 110 pounds and hating life. GOD gave me a second chance. I realized that maybe i will never be state number 1 or regional # 1. But as long as i can getup on sunday pedal and around the track, I have no reason to complain bout nothing. I have a good wife, a job and my health. If you want to bag on this you can, cause i do not care. Anybody that really knows me realizes my mouth is big, but i have good intentions. Now do not be fooled i do want and i will get better at this bmx thing 😉 . But if i do not i will not stress over it.

BIGANT-DOG

Point i want to make is do not obsess over snything, cause when you do, it is no longer fun. Craig do you agree?

RaidenHayden

Armstrong obsessed about every little detail, just the other flip side of the coin, seven tours later 😯

Thanks Ant. Sometimes its gotta be put into perspective. Its BMX, if it aint fun, your trying too hard.

< Loren

I HAVE A HERO…
    He doesn’t pull holeshots,
    clear triples,
    or have a full factory sponsorship…
    MY HERO DIED FOR ME

CrazyCraig

You are absolutely right Ant as far as you are concerned. But, when and if you do decide to set certain goals, like Billy said, it’s not necessarily a bad thing to obsess for the right reasons.

I used to be a fairly competitive bowler, averaged 199 (never could break 200) and am a member of the ABC 700 Club. I have not bowled a full season since 1996 because at a certain point it was no longer fun and started to feel like a job. There were people there that obsessed over bowling, but their lives didn’t seem to be going anywhere outside of the alley. It stopped being fun for me.

I’ll be honest – I started to obsess a little too much over racing after coming back and tried to do too much too fast. Yeah, I’m doing alot better than my first race back in March, but if I had focused a more on just being happy to BE at the track and doing ANY riding, I might have saved myself a couple of injuries. It took a good conversation with my wife to help me be appropriately realistic and remember to stay within myself. My wife is not a dream-killer and supports me 100% but her instincts are very good and reminded me I need to be patient – it will come – just remember to enjoy myself and have fun.

Everyone has made some good points so far on this post, and if any parents have a racer that’s down on themselves because they came in third or fourth, etc., well just point them to this thread or seek out any of the veteran racers (regardless of what class they race) and we will all try to impart some wisdom on them if you need us too.

bmiddaugh

I figure us old guys are here to make positive change and to show the kids and other people that BMX is more than ” a little kids sport”.
    Oh and of course to talk trash to one another…gotta keep a little old school alive!

BIGANT-DOG

Craig at one point i was really obsessed, in some ways i still am. but i never did set any real goals. execept to get top 20 overall in the cjbmx spring series. I got 14 in the fall series last year. Got a SWEET hoodie. when ever i wear it I realize that i am representing OUR sport. I try to send out a positive image of the sport. to be honest this is what i hear. “Ain’t that a white boy sport” or “How many of us (blacks) are involved. I do not get ignorant i tell em it is not a racial thing. And there have been alot of sucessful african americans in this sport. I wish people would open their eyes and realize that BMX is a universal sport for all. BTW I may talk alot of trash, but i do respect all of you guys.

BIGANT-DOG

Oh and of course to talk trash to one another…gotta keep a little old school alive!

s4lnj

you’re black?

s4lnj

just kiddin 😈

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.