Homepage Forums NJ BMX Racing Old School Racing Harry Myers, Craigmeur, NBA, General Bikes…

• This topic has 2 voices and 5 replies.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    bmiddaugh

Harry has reported in and is down with the cause.
    Look for an interview soon!

bmiddaugh

I spoke with Harry on Friday the 27th and he had so much info I almost smoked my old noggin…
    What stories!….seems quite a few people were impress with Craigmeur back in the day, you will be surprised!
    And General….man on manoshevitz…General…
    Get ready…

I only met Harry once but will never forget it.
    I was one of the guys that helped build Lawrenceville. Mind you Marty ran it and hired a backhoe operator but I was there to help give direction and the newspaper came out to take pictures of us on the track before it was finished. Other racers that helped were Kim Wolfkill and Paul Smith.

After racing NBL most of 1978 in 1980 I was racing ABA as much as possible trying to get Penn-1 #1. I lived on the Delware river (PA side) and once rode to Lawville to race.

One day I was hanging out at Lawville on a non race day with Marty and had been trying all year to get him to go ABA. That day Harry showed up and was trying to get Marty to go NBA. I argued a bit with Harry, and Marty ever the politician, just listened. Lawville never went ABA or NBA. Either way the NBA was history and the better sanction went on to become the biggest sanction in the history of BMX.

That being said, Im sorry the NBA died now and wished I had raced it a few times. Now that im not a punk teen, I realize how much Harry did for BMX in New Jersey and how much work he must have put into Craigmeur. (I spectated the 80 nationals there, I didnt race for some reason if it was after Flemington then thats the reason, i seeperated my shoulder at that race)

Harry Meyers was to North Jersey BMX what the Zueners were to South Jersey. Some of the best times of my life were those early days of BMX and without realizing it then, guys like Harry were the reason.

bmiddaugh

Harry Meyers was to North Jersey BMX what the Zueners were to South Jersey.

Too true, too true.
    Erick, Jenny is sometimes on VintageBMX, I tried to get her to do some talking at one point, maybe you could get ahold of her since you knew the Zeuners.
    I have to call Harry again, everything he gave me was verbal and I couldn’t get half the stuff he told me down, lol.
    I gotta see if I can do voice recording on my phone to transcribe it….

Yeah Jenny is good people but a traitor, she is now into … gasp Mountain Bikes. I know, say it aint so. The Woodworths also traded in their Vans for clips long before the BMXrs did the same. To the deepest Banzai pit of burning ash may they all fall.

Just kidding lol.
    Ok here is an idea hold an old school picnic at the track Howell so its central.
    invite Harry, maybe call down to Vineland and find Sal and Terry (Jenny lives in CO). Maybe drive up to the old craigmeur site to talk with Harry and record it all on video tape, invite thru VBMX OS BMX and these forums all the guys that remember Craigmeur and or raced in Nor Jersey.

Swapmeet of parts and bikes, scrapbooks of memorys and story telling. Wont cost a dime but some gas and some hot dogs on the bbq etc everyone bring something, like a pot luck 🙂

bmiddaugh

WTF are mountain bikes?
    hehe…
    You mean those suspension cruisers?
    Harry is out in TX, so unfortunately he probably won’t be showing up soon, lol, but I’m gonna email him tonight to say hi and send him a picture I took of a kid wearing a General bikes jersey over the weekend.
    Should make him feel good he left some kinda legacy here in NJ.

copy and paste my post about him. He has tons of people that remmber him.
    I had no idea he owned General. Did you also know Phil Finkle?
    He was one of my closest freinds racing before I moved to California.
    He rode for General also, may have even been a TM.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.