Homepage Forums NJ BMX Racing NJ Racing old flyers for schools

• This topic has 6 voices and 17 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    bmxmom156

brett you have mail

bmiddaugh

And people ask why I wanted to make TEN THOUSAND COPIES OF OUR FLYER.
    Here is Debbies email response from Ct.

Okay Debbie, here goes. For the last seven years we have sent a minimum of 10,000 flyers to local schools promoting, not BMX per-say, but promoting our “OPEN HOUSE NIGHTS”. We put just enough info on the flyer to get them to the track, but not enough to discourage them from coming. Theres a fine line there for sure. Since we started doing this in 2000 here are our average rider count numbers have gone from 72 riders in 1999 to 198 riders this year (and we ran 3 rain make-up races this year which draw less riders)
    We form a committee each spring that is responsible for making the contacts and getting permission. This “contact list” is kept from year to year so that, after the initial year, its much easier because you now know who to call. All flyers are split into stacks of 25. (Dont let the schools be responsible for splitting them). We then find out when their vacations are and schedule them to be distributed on the same week, usually the week before the open house nights. We have learned to schedule 3 consecutive nights as it provides an alternative for a rain-out or people who cannot make a specific night. Attached are 4 files that we used this year.
    All of this, of course, takes some energy but its energy well spent if you want to grow a program. As your aware, zero promotion and relying solely on word of mouth, is not the optimum way for growth.
    If your interested i will send you a description of our advertising campaign and how we have built a good relationship with our local business community?

And yes I have this…
    Again who will be at the meeting this sunday.
    I am one person.

bmiddaugh

Not a big fan of the flyer design though…
    Enthusiasm, that is what lacks in the state currently.

bmiddaugh

Open house…reread what was discussed at the meeting on Saturday. 😯

bmxmom156

i like that it was 3 days so ppl can choose also allows for rain date. i know they( ct) are religious about their “open houses”. i think each track has one every yr.

flyer design can be changed- whatever- go for it- i wanted you to see their basic plan of attack.. thats what nj needs(plan of attack). something that works and do it consistantly every yr

i will be at the meeting on sun

bmiddaugh

Bring a buddy is freaking stupid, open houses, free track time is what does it.
    And I know people love to rape me for this but current track designs are not inducive to attracting new riders.
    I.E.: BEGINNERS, I’m sorry I was budging from this, but that is now my current stance and also why I feel we need to push practice tracks more than anything, to get BMX in the minds of people.

bmiddaugh

oh and if anyone thinks this meeting is gonna be like a quick, blah blah, everythings all done thing…well us old guys LOVE to talk BMX, so get ready.. 😆

bmxmom156

tracks w/decision makers are the way to go. wherever there is a technical section/ section with larger jumps have a decision maker or “beginner section”

love the practice track idea just requires more manpower and thats what we are lacking nowadays. if you can fix that you have it 90% covered.

bring a buddy…Haha..more like bring some(more) money. definitely like the open house idea like for a sat/sunday for parents that work give them either day to bring the kids. plus older riders(teenagers) most have to work saturdays so sundays gives them more options as well…

im sure you guys have been there done that with this discussion

Macdaddy

This is a great idea and anyone who has been to torrington can attest to its sucess. My 12 yo novice(expert as of next week) has had semis at a local race there. However, this is done at the track level and not the state level. I think that it will work but I also think that the flyers need to be for specific tracks. If there is too much on them then it will be confusing to both the parent and the kid. I have posted in the past that most promotion needs to be at the track level with the “state” lending ideas and such. Also it would be a dismal failure (re: the same attempt was made by Bensalem ABA track) if only the closest schools were to be flyered up. Schools farther out need to be hit and hit often. Maybe multiple open houses at the same track and try with one track first as a guinnea pig then the idea can be tweaked if there were any weaknesses. Bensalem tried this and it failed because while they are only 5 minutes from north east philadelphia they did not go there. no more than 1000. they also only did it once. This idea seems to be one that needs time to develope. If you send one flyer, you may get a few responses but if you inundate the schools multiple times them the kids see the sport more often and maybe more will come. ( on the first time johnny goes and has a great time then when it comes again he remembers and tells his friends to go)

FSHUM

on the first time johnny goes and has a great time then when it comes again he remembers and tells his friends to go)

right on! let’s flyer em’ up. That’s how my buddy did this skate park down here. They had over 1000 people at the event that they threw. That’s just from the E.H.T. area. Kids get jealous and pissed off when they find out they missed something kool the first time, and they wonder “how come I wasn’t there.” It’s the second and third times that’s a real jam, everyone shows up. But ja’ gotta throw the first one, first. get a flyer maker and a date. Q: who comes up with the funds for things like flyers anyway?

bmiddaugh

I’m gonna redo the one on the site here tonight, and I’ll repost it.
    Hey Frank is that the guy who is getting the concrete skatpark going?
    WHat is the name of it again?

bmiddaugh

We will have 10,000 flyers come hell or high water by the end of the year.
    They will look like this.
    http://brokenspokes.net/site-images/door-hanger/race-flyer.pdf
    But will have a tear off at the bottom for kids to bring to the track for their first race-practice.
    Also, all 3 tracks need to figure out when to hold open houses.
    That, is more important than any regional, national or state race because that is where our new base of riders will come from.

FSHUM

the name of it, supposedly, is “Patmos skatepark”. All the freestyle, punk-rocker lookin’ kids would be able to tell you all ’bout it if you asked em.

FSHUM

Yeah, that is the guy.

bmiddaugh
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.