Homepage Forums NJ BMX Racing NJ Racing old Bill Curtin

• This topic has 9 voices and 31 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    LeadSled1

Funny that you say that Bill. I had a talk with the wife after I got back from Brazil and that is what it looks like will happen after this NBL Grands. Next year will be ABA only. It’s too much trying to race both and the ABA seems to have a much better product. Plus my daughters birthday is on the NBL Grands race (9-2) and I have missed it for two years now (she will be three in September, that is sad). Then with the kids starting school in late August it is much harder for them to miss during the first weeks of school than during Thanksgiving. JD goes into first grade this year, plus he likes the ABA races better than the NBL due to the sandbaging that he ran into at the NBL nats.

By cutting the NBL racing out I will be able to travel more and hit some of the big ABA races (A nats) including some west coasters next year.

I had to make a choice that fits our situation and I think this is the right one.

RaidenHayden

Jess, if you haven’t been to the ABA grands, and you can swing the Thanksgiving holiday in Ok, GO!!!!!

bmiddaugh

Racers do not owe their sanctions, their sanctions owe their racers.

LeadSled1

Bill, I already have vacation scheduled so I can go this year. 😉 Hopefully I can pull a NAG plate this year.

Macdaddy

Brett great idea, but please not too far north. If it comes through, the other aba tracks have a yearly comp. each track gets a team together and races at all the tracks, the winning track gets bragging rights and a trophy.

LeadSled1

That is the Patriot Cup that started with Don at Blue Diamond and the Bensalem track. Lots of fun.

bmiddaugh

If Bill and I get things together, there may be a track north and one right down here near bs.net HQ.

bmxmom156

north?? did i hear north?? ok fess up how north?? to you north is prob north freehold..haha jk

bmiddaugh

nope…..wayyyyyyyyy up north.
    RaydenHayden could tell ya better than me..

RaidenHayden

Morris county, that’s all for now

BillCurtin

Hi Guys,

I received an email with a couple of questions about track administration.

This might help to dispell any propaganda that circulates about the ABA organization and the relationship with its tracks.

1. The Transfer System vs Total Points (3 moto)

An ABA track operator has the option of running the transfer system or running total points. Its done with an easy option dropdown in the Motomaker race mangement software. They won’t need ABA approval to do this.

The only events that ABA would require a track to run the tranfer system are multipoint races. The reason behind this is that under the ABA program, riders earn district points from every single race they paricipate in. Riders have the incentive to travel for said points and if you were to get riders from another track who have never raced a total points event, it might confuse them. In total, we are talking about three or four races out of a season, the SCR(state Championship Race), Race For Life (applies to double pointer’s), an Earned Double, or a Redline Cup Qualifier. Also if the track wins the State Championship Final (SCF), The transfer system would apply to that weekend.

2. Can we be allowed to run our organization as we see fit?

Absolutely. ABA has NO REQUIREMENT on how your organization is run. It can be a nonprofit association, yes, I said NONPROFIT. AS a matter of fact, the majority of ABA tracks are run as nonprofit associations. The tax advantages for nonprofits is that they can garner donations and the ease for those donations to be a tax write off for the donors. I’d recommend any track setup as a non-profit. It takes some paperwork and possibly the use of an account/and or tax lawyer. THe benfits outweigh the effort in most cases.

We also have tracks that are run as a for profit. From the riders perspective, in most cases, they are run the same as a nonprofit.

Bottom line, ABA views the track and riders as our customers and it is imperative for us to provide quality service and a product which is BMX. The tools that are available to ABA tracks are unmatched and if a track uses those tools, they can very successful.

Ask anyone who has been to an ABA National about their experience. ABA strives to be “The Best in BMX”, not just say it. Action speaks louder than words.

ABA provides the windows based Motomaker Race Management software to all their tracks free of charge. In the below screen capture, I’ve highlighted the option dropdown to set a race for Total Points. Its that easy to change.

A track can also customize the motosheets by inserting their track logo to print on the motosheets as indicated. It adds nothing for function but it gives a track additional brand identity.

When running total points, if the class has four or more riders, you’ll run four times on the track. ABA runs mains for all classes except a three rider class which only runs three rounds. Larger classes will run three rounds plus a main at all local races running total points.

BillCurtin

For those of you who have never been to the ABA Grands. You’ve got quite a surprise coming.

RaidenHayden

And, for those of you confused by the NBL state series rules!! In the ABA, they are set as per the rule book, no commitees, no this may count, or that may count! If your state has three track, then your best two quals plus finals. If you have four tracks or more, best three quals plus finals, this eliminates any confusion!

Macdaddy

OH NO!! you mean my son might have to actually race to be eligible for the race of champions? 😆 Seriously, we race ABA all the time along with NBL and they both have their points. I think that the bottom line is that the more options that you give, the better.

CrazyCooter

Where do I sign up!!!!! WOW All seriousness, Brett have you looked into a windows based system for our current tracks?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.