Homepage Forums NJ BMX Racing NJ Racing old ABA leading the way in promoting BMX racing.

• This topic has 17 voices and 65 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 107 total)
  • Author

B.S…. I was just watching power tool racing, professional Scrabble, lawnmower races, ping pong, and major league baseball. If those boring sports can be televised, then why can’t someone figure out a way to present an elite series race?

B.S…. I was just watching power tool racing, professional Scrabble, lawnmower races, ping pong, and major league baseball. If those boring sports can be televised, then why can’t someone figure out a way to present an elite series race?

RaidenHayden

I think you need to get someone who can get there foot in the door with the Television people, I think that’s what the ABA intention is, but that is what needs to be done for sure, cause if I see one more stupid reallity show the TV is going out the window 😯 😯 😯

RaidenHayden

I think you need to get someone who can get there foot in the door with the Television people, I think that’s what the ABA intention is, but that is what needs to be done for sure, cause if I see one more stupid reallity show the TV is going out the window 😯 😯 😯

I just figured it out…
    Eliminate Rookies
    Eliminate Novice
    Eliminate Expert
    have only two classes..
    Elite straight men
    Elite gay men
    look out Emmys here we cum, i mean come

P.S. women can race in whichever catagory they resemble

I just figured it out…
    Eliminate Rookies
    Eliminate Novice
    Eliminate Expert
    have only two classes..
    Elite straight men
    Elite gay men
    look out Emmys here we cum, i mean come

P.S. women can race in whichever catagory they resemble

RaidenHayden

Dude when we drinking, cause that was funny except the part where the coffee came out my nose and all over the commputer 😆

RaidenHayden

Dude when we drinking, cause that was funny except the part where the coffee came out my nose and all over the commputer 😆

dunrite9

Deb
    Gotta start small, town teams then you race for your high school team.

Thier go are taxes up again.

dunrite9

Deb
    Gotta start small, town teams then you race for your high school team.

Thier go are taxes up again.

BillCurtin

dont know if aba has ever done anything like this before but i remember back like 5-6 yrs ago espn partnered with the nbl and they telavised races like south park

ABA has had two programs on cable, Pump and Crank. Both were in a series format and covered all sorts of racing coverage.

The problem today in getting on TV is $$. ESPN will not talk to you unless you are bringing advertisers to the table. This can probably be attributed to the sucess of the X Games. Extreme sports TV is big business and ESPN like other networks wants ad dollars. The content is not a factor. That explains why lawn tractor racing, food eating and other odd sports broadcast. They appeal to a demographic that draws corporate advertisers.

Its a chicken/egg thing. You need TV to draw audience and be of interest to advertisers but you need ad money to reach TV. Unless a BMXer has Bill Gates as his dad, BMX is a tough sell on TV. ESPN dropped BMX racing because they don’t understand it and how to film it.

In the meantime, ABA is doing a live video webcast of the Blackjack National this weekend. Check it out.

http://www.ababmx.com/index.php?page=default/newsview&newsid=44

I started racing NBL in 1979 by 1980 I was sold on ABA.
    Has anything changed since then?

In 1979 I raced mostly NBL. I was new to BMX but couldnt tell you where I finished in the points. In 1980 I was split and racing both NBL and ABA.
    In 1979 I was ABA #1 all year but in NBL my points were sent to both PA and sperately to NJ/ HUH wtf. Well How did I finish in NBL that year?
    Have no clue, the lame NBL only published the top 50, thats for the entire state of NJ. I probably was 51 lol, ill never know. Then again I got points in PA so I finished out of the top 50 in two states lol.
    The ABA meanwhile was dialed. I finished #6 in 79 (actually #1 lol but ABA cheated me to get a track to switch sanctions) and #185 in 80. (I crashed at the NBL Flemington national in 80 and missed all of the summer of 80). One sanction let all the riders know where they finished in points (ABA) the other sanction (NBL) didnt care.

ABA points and newspaper dialed, NBL beginner. That was then.
    ABA points today (dialed if you can read them without a magnifying glass), newspaper and website all dialed in. NBL? lol look at their site, Brokenspokes.Net is more dialed.

Look at who is sponsoring the NBL nationals. They cant even get MCS who basically started the NBL or Profile from their own strongest state of Florida.

Both sanctions are killing the sport with their greed of 1 gazillion nationals, no importance anymore to the local scene, no promotion outside the sport and making tracks to please the top riders and not tracks that a beginner can race (or veteran butcasual racer like me). yeah the top riders have gotten insanely fast and great but are riders who have never set foot on a BMX track before any better today???????? Everyone says that beginners and new riders are the backbone to BMX yet they kiss ass to all the fastest racers to hear them say after a track rebuild, OMG dude thats so awesome! Wow howd we get enough dirt for 100 jumps? O yeah get rid of backside and make the jumps lippy let you use less dirt. Good Job man. this will really seperate the technical riders from the posers”

good job making a track the new kids look at and go no way man, but outloud when asked what they think say, “man this is awesome, looks really cool” then he never comes back.

Both sanctions are killing the sport, but at least with the ABA your doing it dialed in.

RaidenHayden

Thanks Eric, cause this is what I have been saying all along!! In one of the more recent issues of the NBL paper, they asked industry insiders how the tracks should progress, the concencus was, that the tracks need to be MORE tech, more of a pro feel!!! MORE PRO, I din’t know we had an influx of new pro’s. What we need to get new pros, as the number of pros seems to be dwindling from a few years ago, is more new riders. When Johnny Newbie see’s what his first race is, I think alot are doing one or two and going throught the motions and bailing

bmiddaugh

Unless a BMXer has Bill Gates as his dad, BMX is a tough sell on TV.

I applaud the aba’s tenacity in being open to new ideas and well….I could go on and on here, but the aba hires a lot of riders and racers so duh they have a finger on the pulse.

But…I’m still out here looking for those old schoolers that like the above quote “have made it big” and just haven’t stepped back near BMX again. Somewhere out there is someone with the balls, money and go for it attitude to start some real trouble.
    I’m out…Morpheus.

The answer to more technical tracks isnt that hard.
    Have Expert and Pro sections. Beginners, inters girls and cruisers can race the regular sections and experts and pros get to hit the expert section.
    Pros get to hit the Pro section.

You could even make it so the expert and Pro section has its own inside berm so the line is much shorter than the regular section. This way for new Pros and experts there is a decision maker, ‘ dont think your ready to hit that section? take the longer route’.

Heres a sample of how I would rebuild Egg Harbor. (for ideas only not to scale, plans not exact and subject to change)

I would use the dirt from the am sections to border up to the Pro/expert sections to use less dirt and help keep the sides up.

The sides of all jumps should have enough backside so riders going over dont run a high risk of injury. the fronts and backsides of all jumps should also have enough dirt to enable rolling for Novices without too much circling the drain, but enough lip to let top riders launch so they dont have to roll step ups etc.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 107 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.