Homepage Forums News From The Admin Brett’s Ramblings…. Paved berms and marketing. Reply To: Paved berms and marketing.

jaylamoon

Good arguement…I have to say I left the sport a long time ago, but have come back through my kids. I was shocked to see the changes BMX has made. My last race I rode a custom cycle craft and vision street wear sneaks…both names long gone…so what do I do coming back out…I throw VANS on my kids feet and send them out to race…I moan and groan to my husband about how clips have ruined the sport…what has happened to the pros that put on a fly show at the last straight for all mom and dad photogs…I blamed it on the clips…HOWEVER…one day a GIRL in my daughters class says, HEy Layla, you’ve really gotta get yourself some clips…so that’s just what we did…is she tearing it up out there now…no…but she’s having a damn good time. As for my son, we got him clips when he first started and rides them around the neighborhood, I will NOT let him use them until he and the riders around him are in better control of themselves…he’s still a rookie in the 5 and under class…but in time he’ll be clipped in, if that is where the sport continues to go…
My opinion, I don’t think its the paved berms and clip shoes that have caused the sport to deteriorate. I think it is society and a lack of respect for the sport as a whole…and why is there a lack of respect? Because people don’t know much about it. Take skateboarding…that went down the tubes for a long time. I went from coming home from school and having 30+ guys at my house riding my halfpipes, to watching them rot in my backyard. Skateboarding is back with a vengeance. and why? NOt because they decided to go back in time and make those skinny a@@ banana boards and everyone started wearing half tops, but because Tony Hawk stepped up and started an empire throught freaking video games…I’m not saying we need BMiddaugh to start making video games(but try if you can!)…but through this website and many others like it, there will be change. All these ideas, different points of view, passion, bmx will come back. Just look at the 5 and under class, they have a main almost every race….And as for heroes, I was wrong, they are out there. For me, I like watching you old dogs…but my kids, they are watching the up and coming. Certain 12 ex’s 8 ex’s and even a few of those girls out there. That is where the future lies…
Okay, I just totally went off on a tangent right there…