Homepage Forums Anything But Riding… General B.S. This is for the 30 and over crowd

• This topic has 6 voices and 37 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Caveman

I don’t know how this thread got on collectors but I think that stuff is stupid too.

And much like I prefer the ABA to the NBL, bitd I preferred BMX Action to BMX Plus! and Radical Retard was one of the reasons. That cartoon was so gay, I hated it. BMX Action was ten times the magazine that Plus! was. You can’t take a magazine that seriously if every blurb on the cover ended in an exclamation point! …. BMX Plus! Cruiser shootout! Sickest new freestyle trick! Reader Survey! Subscription deal! Table of contents! Advertisers index! and much, much more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But is anybody seeing what I’m seeing? They’re resurrecting this OLD cartoon to make a movie, and have a promotional tour this summer? Is it me or are they hoping to cash in on the Olympic frenzy? Is 2007 going to be the beginning of BMX’s third wave?

RaidenHayden

Action ruled, and probably cause it didn’t have some of the stupidity. Super BMX was the worst.
    As far as the olympics, I find it hard to believe we have foriegners coming here and teaching us. And wil it be the next wave, that depends. Nascar isn’t in the olympics, neither is baseball (dropped for lack of interest from other nations), or football. Why do they succeed here, COPORATE sponsorship!!!!!! Until they figure out how to make it appealing to those folks , and draw a crowd, we will just plug along as usual

bmiddaugh

I will guarantee this.
    The olympics will bring a tidal wave of people into BMX for the wrong reasons.
    One more reason more riders need to take control of the direction of racing.
    For those of you who watched Joe Kid, you may remember them interviewing Mirra about the early espn days.

I believe his quote was somewhere along the lines of, “ok, so what are these guys in it for? Make a quick buck off of us?”…go back and watch it to get the exact line.

Anyway, NOW is the time to make waves and make sure the people who will be asked what the deal is when the media comes knocking, are the right people.

I’m feeling something Thomas Payne’ish coming on.

bmiddaugh

a quick addendum to Cave’s post.
    The first cartoon character I remember seeing was The Grab On Kid, by Bob Haro.
    It was amazing, it was in the Mighty BMXA.
    RR was a bit of a cheap knock off, and was apparently written down to a kids level.

This is what made BMXA what it was, it was written for “kids”, but it did not pander to them.
    And lastly, when I read Dave’s captions for his Iron Man pictures, I was immediately taken back to the days of BMXA, because that style of just writing about a picture and making it seem like you were part of the action even though you weren’t there is what made the mag even more amazing.

It’s one thing to say, Joe Rider beat everyone in the 12 x main.

It’s a whole ‘nother level of creativity to do what Dave does.

bmiddaugh

And I would definately say we need guys like Brian who understand the history of BMX and really love this stuff.
    But I will pretty much guarantee you that if you asked him how much the stuff was worth, the monetary value of it would not come into play.
    I sorta like the fact that we have a repository of the history of BMXing.

BIGANT-DOG

Geez all i did was talk about radical rick!!!!!!!!!!!

Caveman

What’s with all the exclamation points, Ant dog? Are you a big fan of BMX Plus! too? Is your real name John Kerr? Were you afraid of Skuzzer Switchblade? Were you hot for Bonnie Brainstorm or whatever her name was? (Yeah, I’m not proud of it but I used to read it. That’s cause if you were ape-shizz for BMX you read every magazine you could get your hands on from cover to cover)

I just found it interesting and perhaps part of a bigger picture. Perhaps these people are betting that the Olympics will usher in BMX’s third wave and there will be some money to be made in the next few years on it. I mean, after all these years, why bring back Radical Rick now and make a movie out of it? Nobody cared about it back then. Why make a movie out of it now?

Anybody else think that’s why they’re making a movie out of it? Anybody else think BMX will see a third wave? 83, 98, 08?

adamguild

Caveman I am looking forward to watching it drop again…and watching all the money drop………and watching a new wave of riders with a fresh perspective take over .there is surely a pattern…….Look at all the gimmicks…………..

BIGANT-DOG

Yeah, I’m not proud of it but I used to read it. That’s cause if you were ape-shizz for BMX you read every magazine you could get your hands on from cover to cover)

Dude i still have 90 percent of my mags. Not in the best shape but i got em

BIGANT-DOG

You know what the reak deal is, if a “3rd wave comes along” we can’t let the wave die out.

adamguild

This is starting to sound like a poor line from Point Break………..

RaidenHayden

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa lets go rob banks in neon colors on old school bikes

adamguild

I would but the old school bikes would break and we would get caught

RaidenHayden

Yeah then we could sing festive songs like “siverbracelets, soon there will be siverbracelets”
    Actually we just need to change up the scene for awhile and make it an event when you go to one of these things, cause sometimes with the lame turnouts, why drive, I can ride in the back yard, or street with my buds

adamguild

“They only live to get radical. -Bodhi

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.