Homepage Forums NJ BMX Racing Racing Veterans Number of NBL tracks in NJ in 83

• This topic has 10 voices and 23 replies.
Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Caveman

Deptford- Started by Action Wheels after closing Woodbury?

precisely

Cape May Court House- *** details anyone??

My friend who gave me the 83 ABA paper had pictures of him riding there. That doesn’t mean they ever held sanctioned races there. It could have been one of those tracks that never got finished but the ABA listed it anyway to puff up their numbers.

Egg Harbor City- *** details anyone??

I would think Frank Klimecki or Clay would know about this if it existed. Is Frank on this site?

Patty Woodworth of Action Wheels told me about the Millville track in the center of the race track. Apparently it was called Berm Busters. I’m sure Farside could tell us all about it.

All the same these tracks were listed in the ABA paper along with track director names so they either existed or they intended to open but never did. You know, kinda like those two guys that intended to re-open Vineland in 90 but never did. 🙂

The 83 paper I have listed 14 tracks. The 84 paper listed 8 tracks. In 86 there were only two ABA tracks left. It makes me think BMX went from it’s high point to dissapearing OVERNIGHT.

The 83 paper I have is from the beginning of the year hence there weren’t that many people listed in the district points. When I say there weren’t that many there were still more than the NBL has today. The 84 paper is from the end of the summer so everybody had been racing and in boys 20″ alone there were 1100 riders in the four districts. I’d like to see how many there were in 82 and 83. Perhaps 1500 or more? NJ-3 which was pretty much South Jersey had over 500 riders. Today the ABA has 0 tracks and 10 riders in NJ.

bmiddaugh

The person to ask would be James Cerullo of Braddock, he ran pretty big with the aba at that point…
    or you could just pm Bill Curtin and see if he can dig up some history.

bmiddaugh

wait a minute…you have aba papers from 83?
    I’m in there, NJ District 4…the scrub district!…Cruiser guys….

CWCCRIDER

@Caveman wrote:

The 83 paper I have listed 14 tracks. The 84 paper listed 8 tracks. In 86 there were only two ABA tracks left. It makes me think BMX went from it’s high point to dissapearing OVERNIGHT.

OK everybody ready ??? BMX —-RE-APPEAR 😆 😆

CrazyCraig

Waretown: No, this is not Brigantine, they are no where near each other. I raced Waretown as a 14 Nov in 1982. It was on Rt. 9 South just below the Oyster Creek Nuclear Power Plant. One town south of Forked River. It was behind a shopping center and supported by the bike shop that was there, I just do not remember the name. I don’t think it survived into or past 1983. We got a lot of rain in 1983 and it pretty much washed the track out.

Toms River: Also an ABA track. It was on the north end of Toms River, almost in Brick. It was part of a family entertainment complex that had miniature golf, arcades, batting cages, etc. It raced on a weird schedule to get riders (aka point chasers). I remember several times racing Deptford and/or the Philly indoor warehouse track and then heading over there for a night race on the weekend.

Waretown
    Yeah Craig I raced Waretown a few times in 1981.
    I can remember the track vaguely as the shopping center it was behind wasnt much bigger then the track.
    I remember the starting hill was good sized and the gate faced the riders away from Rt9 and the first turn went right.
    I cant remember anything else about the track cept it was sandy.

I used to race a guy (we were freinds and I even gave him a ride home once) I think his name was Ed Maier or something like that, he lived in Medford Lakes and I think was also 16x. Alot of times 16X and N were combined.

TenaciousD

there is a park near me called Harry Ally park in Bridgewater. And it was about in 1983 that there was a BMX track there, but, as soon as it was built, they never did anything with it, was left to just sit there for about a year, then was plowed.

i rode alot on that track as did others.

CrazyCraig

@Caveman wrote:

Cape May Court House- *** details anyone??

My friend who gave me the 83 ABA paper had pictures of him riding there. That doesn’t mean they ever held sanctioned races there. It could have been one of those tracks that never got finished but the ABA listed it anyway to puff up their numbers.

Dave, in 1982 or 1983 I talked my dad into driving me down to Cape May for a some sort of special race, maybe a triple-pointer (why else would I drive 3 hours?). It was ABA sanctioned. Very sandy, but give them an “A” for effort.

CWCCRIDER

Just found this patch from SJ Indoor

I never raced there I think i got it from Mark Chapman ?? I’m not sure

paulkka

INteresting, that you mention Clay and Clayton. I had a Verizon guy here Saterday and when he walked in his first question was who here races BMX, he had seen sticker on my car. I said my grandson Zach McLaughlin and that he was going to Woodward next week. He then says yeah, I went there in the eary 80’s with CLAY!!. His name is Scott (sorry forgot his last name), he raced mostly ABA at Deptford and Clayton. He now lives in Lumberton and knew of the practice track and still has his bike hanging is his garage.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.