Homepage Forums NJ BMX Racing NJ Racing old Chris Vliet

• This topic has 15 voices and 25 replies.
Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    CrazyCooter

hi guys. just thought i’d say hi and thank everyone for they’re thoughts and prayers. I just got out of surgery today for some faceial reconstruct stuff. Dave, i used to be all abouut the open faced, but now i’m just glad i had a helmet on period. I don’t remember anything of the wreck or after, but am tokd i wasn’t avery good patient. haha. that’s all i rely have for now, i’m pretty drained but will try to talk again sometime later. Thanks again for everyone that’s been helping out and please support EHT, there gonna need it.

chris

bmiddaugh

Welcome back man, Time to rock that FF, we can’t afford to lose NJ’s first life long rider-track director.
    Heal up quick!

Coughdrop

I check in from time to time on the NJ BMX scene to read about how my friends and home state are doing, and to hear news like this about a rider is sobering. A story of this type of accident inevitably brings me back to similar accidents, concussions, and the scare of never being the same. I ran open face helmets for a long time, and suffered my fair share of crashes and close calls. Most riders will make the switch from open to closed face helmets when something traumatic happens in the magnitude of Chris’ accident. You can only hope that it is not you on the receiving end of such a harsh and dramatic wake up call. The speeds and difficulty of the tracks converted most of the racers a few years ago, but there are still the select few that have not made the change. I can only hope that Chris’ accident was not in vain. As a role model and a great person that has affected the lives of so many, I hope that people realize what is truly important in life, and that is LIFE. Looking cool or having to take some time to adjust a different helmet could never compare to not being able to live your life fully, or at least suffering tremendous pain like Chris.

I have known Chris a long time and was excited when he became track director. His passion for BMX will always be there, and was evident when I talked to him about ways to help improve EHT. I just hope that he heals quickly and that all of the people that eh has touched learn from this accident and purchase a proper helmet. My dad once told me that you can cut expenses in almost everything if you need to, but the investment you place in your helmet can never equal the equipment that it is protecting!

Get well Chris!

Coughdrop

…maybe next time I should proof read…”As a role model and a great person that has affected the lives of so many, I hope that people realize what is truly important in life, and that is LIFE.” is Talking about Chris. His hard work in volunteering and having a positive attitude racing is something that everyone can learn.

njracer

Sorry to hear about the crash Chris. Hope you are starting the healing process. I recently made the switch to a full-faced helmet and after hearing about this am sure I made the right decision. Legend gave me hell about it too. I rocked the open face forever and luckily don’t have a story like this one, but I could very easily. Think about it- Chris is a very good rider and knows EHT better than anyone. Especially for us older guys a full face is the way to go. That is my opinion and I am as old school as they come. Get well soon Chris. Can’t wait to see you back on the track again. -Chris Gulich

CrazyCooter

Feeling better today. Just want to thank EVERYONE for the positive remarks and get wells! As far as the helmet goes, the worst part about it was my normal race (full face) helmet was in my truck but because I was just going to take an “easy” lap I chose to put the Pro-tek helmet that my son and I share on boardwalk rides on! You’d think after all the time I’ve spent riding in the years past I’d learn that there isn’t any so-called easy lap!!
    As far as I’m doing, the thought process (normal brain thoughts) is still kinda slow and the pain level is stilll kinda high. The medication is helping that though. The facial reconsctuction has gone well, next dr’s appointment is this afternoon and we’ll be looking at the right elbow and wrist. Then we move onto the right upper leg which is still numb and quite discolored! But it’ll all get better in time i’m sure.

I still want to thank Chris Whiley and Jessica D. for being there when the crash happened and for taking excellent care of me until the emergency services showed up. And I still want to tell them I’m sorry, I’m told that I WAS NOT the best patient in the world once I came back to consciousness!!

All in all, i feel very lucky. I have great friends that care, an awesome family that supports me and some killer kids that keep wanting to know how “daddy” is!! Thanks again to all of you that have come out to say your 2 cents and not to single anyone out but, Coughdrop, where the hell have you been!!!! Get you ass out here to the east coast soon!!!!

Talk to you all in a few days and thatnks again.

CrazyCooter

Ps: Don’t forget to go out to EHT and help out for the race tonight. I still can’t make it out to the track and they’re gonna possibly be short handed with the race tonight. So please, anyone that can help out, go to the track tonight and walk up to registration and tell them your there to help. I don’t know exactly, but I’ll make a guess they’re gonna need Corner marshals, scorers, an announcer (thanks to me, sorry), and any thing else that is needed to make the normal race go down. I’m counting on you guys to help the support of the track in my absense. And as always, any help is appreciated. Thank you.

tommydone

hey cris I dont really know you but i am sorry to her about your accident,just came back to racing after a 15 year hiatus and sporting a full face.I was looking for an open face but the caveman talked me out of it.I hope your recovery is speedy and as painless as possible,this sport will die without people like you.Get well soon!

chris. Glad to see ya back man, I got the site on lock, I think im going to do some small graphical changes tonight… maybe… ill be helping at the track all i can, Dropping gates at GP what ever, I’ll Keep your track well dont worry.

CrazyCooter

Tommydone – Thanks for the vote of confidence and the nice comments. That was very appreciated!

Lee M. – Thanks for all the work and don’t forget, just cause I’m not at the track right now you can still get ahold of me via phone or email.

I’d also like to thank all the riders and family members that have contacted me to wish me luck in the past week or so. It’s going well, I still get kinda dizzy while moving around, speach is alittle slurred and I don’t have much stamina, but, I’m getting there! 😳 Each day is better than the last. Thanks again and everyone remember……… BMX RULES!!!! Wink

Pinky111

I sll hate my FF. Ive had my share of crap with the open face but u cant beat the vision. But the FF helmets of today ARE better than the old school FF. They dont move as much if you do fall so… hell Im just glad your gettin better Chris! all you have to do is tell me the track and who that is behind me in the pic to the left! PS its about 89-91 in that pic!

bmiddaugh

Pinky….
    any chance you could shrink that avatar a bit, it’s doing crazy stuff to the site..
    Thanks brah.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.