Homepage Forums Grassroots BMX Ideas, Innovations bmx mentor program

• This topic has 7 voices and 14 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    bmxmom156

i wanted to get your thoughts about this prog that i heard about…they do a bmx “mentor” prog up at bethel track… what i get so far is that on the practice nights they pair up an expert rider with a rookie rider and they meet on the practice night and work on whatever the rookie needs help with one on one… then the race days the mentor watches the rookie and helps them out with whatever they need…. a friend of my sons is doing this at bethel (he is 14 and his protege is 10) they say it works out very well plus it helps parents with bike maintanance, etc( who know nothing coming into the sport)….what are your thoughts about this? have any tracks in nj done this? i am going up there this sunday to pick my son up( he is up there for the week) and will try to find out more info on how its organized. they also said it encourages the rookies to move up to novice( thought you would love that idea) faster as they want to race the faster kids and have more encouragement to do so…. something to think about

bmiddaugh

That’s a great idea. Not only all of the above, but it might also instill a sense of responsibility about keeping the sport going in the younger riders (teens). Sometimes I hear the real young dudes, 9-12 bagging on the true beginners and their walmart bombers, so I think those guys might need a little lesson on humility and spreading the love, hehe…
    I’ll also be posting up all the promotional material that I have garnered from friends of the site here as well as your notes on how to get the free race flyers in schools.
    I’ll have it on the index page of the site this evening.

RaidenHayden

2nd the motion

bmiddaugh

Shuweet!

bmxmom156

a lesson in humility is needed by all!! kmart bikes? my sons was a ralleigh( did i spell that right) that weighed about 30 lbs then some blue wallmart special that was so big(even at 16″) that my husb had to cut the seatpost so the seat actually sat on top of the ttube… it was a handmedown special that he loved and raced on for about 6 mos… i think his cousin still has that bike..haha then dale hooked us up with a handmedown min frame that rocked!(noname) and keith( anyone remember him?? tnt/ oneal/daughter amy rode a haro) got us some wheels…so everyone has to start from somewhere..i just dont get how these kids (rookies)can come off with starting out on $1500 bikes… whoa…did i start another topic? sorry

RaidenHayden

Debby, why’d you go and do that. Yeah Idon’t even have a $1500 bike

bmxmom156

haha.. yea i hear it from danny ragging on that topic all the time… “yea and so and so is sponsored… is only a rookie and rides a carbon fiber mini w/ titanium blah blah bike with time clips and is only racing 6 months what a poser yada yada….” whatever happened to working your way up thru the ranks??? lol

TideyFamily

Jeff Heath(16 not 40 somthing) Has been doing this with Nikota for a month or so. It has really helped out a ton with his riding skills. I only wished that we would have been able to go to the Greg Hill clinic. I think this program would do wonders for kids that want to be more competitive.

bmiddaugh

Like MacArthur…
    Greg shall return….

TideyFamily

Yeah but sad to say this GREG got word today that he is moving next month it looks like!!! I think the wife and kids are moving but I am staying until October.

bmiddaugh

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
    To?

TideyFamily

Phoenix…. 6 ABA tracks and 2 NBL’ers… ABA Fridayand Saturday at Black Mountain BMX(One of the premiere track’s in the whole US of A) Sunday Chandler(ABA’s First track), NBL on Tuesday and Thursday!!!! All 3 tracks are within 30 minutes at most from each other…

TideyFamily

Phoenix…. 6 ABA tracks and 2 NBL’ers… ABA Fridayand Saturday at Black Mountain BMX(One of the premiere track’s in the whole US of A) Sunday Chandler(ABA’s First track), NBL on Tuesday and Thursday!!!! All 3 tracks are within 30 minutes at most from each other…

4130forlife

i think it REALLY sucks that greg is going to move.. i have become good friends with him.. all it means is ROAD TRIP.

CrazyCraig

@TideyFamily wrote:

Uh, what’s pulling you back to Arizona?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.