Homepage Forums NJ BMX Racing NJ Racing old ABA leading the way in promoting BMX racing.

• This topic has 17 voices and 65 replies.
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 107 total)
  • Author
    dunrite9

Get more new riders to the locals, keep them there by running every week, 1 or 2 days, they get better turn X then go feed the ATM.

bmxmom156

dont get me wrong i would love 5 tracks in nj but sometiems when there are too many riders will say no one in class to race if there are only just say 3 16 x in the state and each one goes to a diff track to race 1 day a week then there isnt a class and no comp. most experts go to tracks not for local points but for competition/ other riders their age to race against. does no one any good racing a 13 yr old. thats what happend in nj we used to have 10 kids in my sons class now you are lucky to end the season w/3 for states.

i agree run the tracks on weekend regardless of nats/ regionals that are scheduled… so get rid of the rookies at nationals and they will race locally 😛 if they are that good to race at a national level they should be novice ( ok here i made some enemies i am sure)

i didnt realise there were so many tracks bitd but what happend back then> how long did they survive and why did they close? history has a habit of repeating itself unless you correct whatever they did or didnt do…

glad to hear you guys are sparking new ideas i personally would like to see the older experts stay in the sport longer- seems like once they get a girlfriend/ car its so long bmx( till they have kids of their own then make a comeback if they are lucky) although im sure alot has to do with the money factor( teenagers have to work and pay for own races no more mom/dad footing the bill.

CrazyCraig

Deb,

You are not going to make any enemies here by saying no rookies at the Nats. We all believe that is one of the things killing the sport, and we have probably beat the subject to death by now.

What happen back in the 80’s with 20+ tracks?

Like anything else the state went through the cycle of fast growth during the early stages when things were very exciting and new. But after the initial excitment a certain amount of racers probably dropped out and you didn’t necessarily need 23 tracks. I’m sure survival of the fittest played a small part in there as well. Some tracks were just bad. Good, well intentioned people running them, but bad tracks. I know cause I raced them.

I think we all agree what really killed things is the sanctions never figured out how to market to anyone other than BMX Racers, and history keeps repeating itself.

Obviously new kids keep getting involved, or the sport would be dead right now, but I agree with Brett that if you have more tracks around the state, you get more exposure and then attract more riders. Its that simple.

Yeah, right now when you look at current rider counts, it seems like opening a new track would just lower moto counts further at each track, but the goal is to attract brand new kids who never raced before. I am sure there are parents that would have no problem spending $10 for their kid to race if they knew of a track close enough for them to start at.

Thats my take on it for now.

bmiddaugh

Yea..
    lol, we could never support 23 tracks anywhere today.
    But a few new tracks will help not hurt.
    What would help immensely would be small “practice” tracks in towns.
    Small 4 man beginner tracks, small jumps, for kids to learn on.
    25 – 50 of those and watch the turnouts at races go up and up.
    Is skateboarding hurting because there are skateparks EVERYWHERE now?
    Heck no!
    It’s ALL in the marketing.
    I think Debbie meant she is making parental enemies, lol…
    I actually believe this site and the guys on it are responsible for more kids moving up out of beginner than anything else in NJ at the moment, lol…

bmxmom156

someone on another site had a good idea about getting the novs to move up as well im sure you all read it.(here come the enemies) get the novs to run fri night at the grands filter down to top 8in the main,,, those top 8 get dumped into the expert class for the next day/automatic move up to expert ( thats right no novs plate at the grands you make top 8 you move up to expert) the novs can race nats for the trophy of the day only. get the novs to move up is harder than getting the rookies to move up. thats prob why the rookies are scared to move to nov casue all the novs should be x by now….we have a kid in dans age in pa who was nov w/danny back when he was7nov turned 7x that kid is STILL a nov his mom stuck him on a cruiser “my son will never get a move up at a local” and there he has been ever since…. anyway how did i get off topic? old age i guess..oh yes i remember

the practice tracks are a great idea. the distance a parent has to drive is def a factor if you had these little practice tracks (not saying they dont have some decent jumps/decision makers for the older guys) but just need some adult to run the gate that would be great. when local parents ask me where does dan practice/ race i tell them flem they look at me like i am some sort of psycho! yea i travel over an hr imagine if we only had to go 10 mins or whatever..that is another fight for another day. towns are way way too worried about lawsuits. i still cant believe they let the skateparks in but no bmx tracks/ dirt jumps. amazing.

s4lnj

with more tracks taht run at the same time — the local scene/state series would be much better in theory— lets look at the two scenarios

now–3 tracks–

” i race tommy brown (if this is actually someones name i am sorry) tommorow for the state championship. that’s cool because i beat him every tuesday, saturday, and sunday at eht, cj, and hc. same old race i just pay more to go. pass me some pie please”

soon-5-6 tracks evenlly spread–

” state race is tomorow, looks like it’s me and some kid tommy brown in the lead for the year end title. i’ve never raced him before caus ehe’s from up north, must be pretty fast though. pass me an apple please”

with more tracks you will not only attract more riders but the state series will actually be more like a small regional or national. ya know–

you think the racers from nor cal see all the same guys from southern cal. every weekend— no– and that’s part of the reason that thier state series is so big

more later– i’m spent

Ok, a few more tracks will help the sport in the long run, I agree.
    but who among you are gonna run them? Not me. The fact of the matter is that being track director is a full time job, or at least it should be if you want a nice track.
    If any body out there is willing to do….Just do it! and stop talking about it.
    It’s easy to sit and bitch in front of your computer about how badly everybody doing and how much better you could do.
    If you are willing to start a track, call the NBL or ABA and they will gladly help you get started.

but who among you are gonna run them? Not me. The fact of the matter is that being track director is a full time job, or at least it should be if you want a nice track.
    It’s easy to sit and bitch in front of your computer about how badly everybody doing and how much better you could do.
    If you are willing to start a track, call the NBL or ABA and they will gladly help you get started.

bmiddaugh

We have, they did, we are.
    And this stuff takes some time…dang it.
    If building a track was as easy as building a website, we’d have 5 tracks and 100 practice ones in the state already.
    Oh…and 1 person can’t be a track director. Ya gotta have a group of 5-6 to do it.
    Bitching is saying, why aren’t there more tracks.
    Acting is saying, we have aba info, are talking to town rec committees and are looking for people to help out.
    and…continuing to promote.

bmiddaugh

If building a track was as easy as building a website, we’d have 5 tracks and 100 practice ones in the state already.
    Oh…and 1 person can’t be a track director. Ya gotta have a group of 5-6 to do it.
    Acting is saying, we have aba info, are talking to town rec committees and are looking for people to help out.

bmiddaugh

great brett,
    give me the address of your track i’ll be over tomorrow to help

great brett,

great brett,

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 107 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.